The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice on DIY Gobo Plan
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Advice on DIY Gobo Plan

Building some gobos today for the purposes of recording my band live (drums, bass, 2 guitars - vocals will be overdubbed). We set up with bass amp on the hi-hat side of the drums, lead guitar amp on the ride side, and rhythm guitar amp next to the bass amp. Standard "live stage" setup.

Plan is to build 3 gobos. 2 large ones on the sides of the drums (8' tall x 4' wide 4" deep) and one small one between the bass amp and rhythm guitar amp (4' tall x 2' wide x 4" deep).

The plan is just to build frames for these sizes with ply/pine, get breathable fabric for the outside and 20 pieces of 703 (2'x4'x2").

Any tips or thoughts regarding this plan?

The goal is mainly get get better drum sounds with the entire band playing at once. Also, planning on getting 2 U-Haul packing blankets to put behind the drums as well. Also, planning on using the 2 large gobos + packing blankets to build a vocal booth for vocal overdubs, and also to use them to help the mixing environment, by putting the gobos behind the monitors, and the packing blankets on the wall at reflection points.
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Packing blankets are good for behind drums, but remember that you can increase their usefulness at lower freqs (down into the mids/low mids vs just upper mids and treble) by spacing them an inch (or more) from the wall.

I did this in my room by putting down 1x2 nailing strips at the top of the walls and them stapling the blankets (I used industrial felt) to that. There's about an inch of airspace between the blanket and the drywall behind. Makes a big difference; my drums sound great but note that the throne is in an obtuse corner (like 120 degrees.... the room is a septagon with no parallel walls other than floor and ceiling; dual use live and mix room).

If you just wanted to tame cymbals the air gap is not so critical.

I wouldn't think the packing blankets (even with air space) would be a good choice for 1st reflection points (maybe if doubled up a few times and spaced from wall, but dunno). If your monitors have room placement compensation I'd use the gobos there instead and set your monitors appropriately (2 Pi radiation, up against the bare live wall). If they don't then maybe make one more gobo so you have 4.

Since the gobos are movable remember to keep them a few inches from the wall to make them effective to lower freqs as well.
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

4" lumber is really not 4", its 3 1/2" actual size however the fiberglass is going to be an actual 2" thickness or stacking two together will be an actual 4". See the problem I'm getting at. A few choices you can make like get 6" lumber and rip it down to an actual 4", or use rockwool instead of fiberglass as you can find it in 3" thicknesses fairly easily (rockwool is fairly cheap and some of the big box home centers stock it). Next I'd stick to all 4' tall gobos for sight lines as something that tall (8') could really screw with the room's acoustics (you are going to have to experiment regardless). You can probably get better responses in the Acoustics section here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search