The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Everly Brothers style
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

Everly Brothers style

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get drum sounds in this style.

I've got 2 options for rooms: One is much more open and live, and is roughly 20ft. x 30ft. with 14ft. ceilings, the other is a super dead, small booth.

I've gotten pretty good sounds out of both rooms, and alot of times I prefer the small booth, especially with the way the toms sound.

I'm leaning more towards the live room for this though, with a minimal (maybe 3 mic) set-up in addition to some distant room mics.

Here's my mic options. I have my go-to preferences for rock drums, but for this style, I'm not quite sure.

Beta52
D112
SM57 (4)
D6
AT4033 (pair)
MC012 (pair)
SM81 (pair)
PPA ribbons (pair)
PPA Tube mics (pair)

As for preamps, I've got 14 channels of quad eight MM61 modules, so I should be fine in that dept..

Also the drumset is a 70's slingerland with a solid ply wood snare (D.W.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 9th March 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get drum sounds in this style.

I've got 2 options for rooms: One is much more open and live, and is roughly 20ft. x 30ft. with 14ft. ceilings, the other is a super dead, small booth.

I've gotten pretty good sounds out of both rooms, and alot of times I prefer the small booth, especially with the way the toms sound.

I'm leaning more towards the live room for this though, with a minimal (maybe 3 mic) set-up in addition to some distant room mics.

Here's my mic options. I have my go-to preferences for rock drums, but for this style, I'm not quite sure.

Beta52
D112
SM57 (4)
D6
AT4033 (pair)
MC012 (pair)
SM81 (pair)
PPA ribbons (pair)
PPA Tube mics (pair)

As for preamps, I've got 14 channels of quad eight MM61 modules, so I should be fine in that dept..

Also the drumset is a 70's slingerland with a solid ply wood snare (D.W.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'd use ribbon microphones on the overheads. and that's all

the 70's slingerland sounds good to help achieve this sound but I'd look around for a different snare drum. a D.W. snare is just not going to get the desired effect your looking for. most important though, the best way to achieve a vintage sound is to find a drum set from the era ...... I'd like to hear the out come.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search