The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Senheiser e609 on TOMS?!
Old 6th May 2006
Here for the gear

Senheiser e609 on TOMS?!

Just like to get some other ppls opinion on this idea.
I bought a Senheiser e609 awhile back to use on guitar cabs mostly in the studio but came into quiet a suprising situation at my last live venue. This was a fairly small club and I really didn't think I would need to run individual condensers on each of the 4 toms and snare. I figured the snare and the high toms would cut through plenty with the club as small as it was and all the bleed I was getting of the 3 front vocal mics, so I cheated , I grabbed the e609 and stuck it directly between the 2 low toms with the mic aimed at the attack point on the drums. All I can say is wow, It was crisp and clear with more bass than you could use! No compression was needed, with alil eq'ing it had a nice natural cut-off and feel into the mix very well. Maybe im an idot or has anybody else tried this out and would it be totally stupid to give these a shot in the studio??
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

I like the e6xx series, either for live or studio, most of the time sound really cool on drums.. Plus they can handle loud sources.
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

They pretty much advertise these mics as great on guitar cabs or toms so it shouldn't be a huge surprise that they work on toms.
Old 6th May 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79
They pretty much advertise these mics as great on guitar cabs or toms so it shouldn't be a huge surprise that they work on toms.
My bad, I knew they were advertised as Guitar mics but didn't really ever hear anything about them being advertised for toms. Guess im just ignorant huh, But anyways, I would say a much better tom mic than guitar mic, I was just suprised with the results........
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

It's good to hear they work well though! I definitely prefer 421's but for my budget I'd rather spend $300 and get 3 decent tom mics rather spend $900 for three 421's. I usually go into a local studio to track drums anyway though. They got a mic locker that I could only dream about but it's nice that I get to use em!!! Thanks for the heads up groundhum!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search