The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Lexicon Product Idea
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

New Lexicon Product Idea

Id like to see them make a Firewire rack unit that works as a plug-in in your DAW than has:

the 480 sound

the 224, 224X and XL sound

the PCM 70-60 sound

the model 200 sound

the PCM 42 and Prime Time's sound

the AD-DA of the original units modeled so they sound right. (without the hiss)

A connector for a LARC, that works exactly as it would if plugged into a actual 480 or 224xl

it only needs to be stereo, and dosent need any ad or da

the Lexicon Legacy Firewire Rack (as I have dubbed it) should cost about $1500 and Larc they should get remade in china for about $299

I think just about everyone would buy one.

Old 6th May 2006
Gear Addict

or Adam will buy all of them
Old 6th May 2006
Gear Head

Sounds like an awful lot for a steal. i'll buy one if they ever do it. two if they throw in "dark hall' from the LXP 15. heh
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

Gimmie 5!
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

Now, back to reality....
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine
Now, back to reality....
All right!

But isn't it strange that Lexicon sells the same stuff they sold 10 years ago while the rest of the audio world has one through technical revolutions?
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine
Now, back to reality....
Yeah, But with today's technology and manufacturing, memory prices, no analog section or display, It could be done, and I think they would make 10 times the money they are currently making on selling reverbs.

they already have made products like the lexiverb reverb on a card, and the current cheap one that shows up as a VST plug in.
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal
Yeah, But with today's technology and manufacturing, memory prices, no analog section or display, It could be done, and I think they would make 10 times the money they are currently making on selling reverbs.

i have yet to see a hardware box get translated into the realm of pure software and survive the transition 100%. this is true even of digital devices like the virus synth or L2.

something about the box itself, with the juice runnning thru it, seems indispensible if you want 100% mojo. if you're willing to settle for 90% mojo, then there are things like the PSP42 delay. but i'm here to testify, 90% mojo on pure mojo boxes like the 42 is a very, very unsatisfying experience.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Addict

They kinda did it with the Nu-Verb ...
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Have you noticed most of Lexicons "new' stuff is aimed at the "prosumer" market?

sdf
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Nut

Lexicon's new stuff is terrible and sounds unlike any Lexicon that most of us enjoy.

A lot of the thickness of the well liked Lexicon sound comes from 12 and 16 bit convertors at 44.1 sample rate along with tons of chips that each perfom their own tasks, not a single chip that multitasks and uses DSP to make digital models of algorithms that previously ran off huge numbers of dedicated IC's

What Lexicon needs to do is stop making all the products they currently have and put out a peice of hardware that connects to your USB or Firewire port which has the following algorithms running off of chips inside a hardware chasis, not a single chip that runs digital models of algorithms. It is important that the effects are created using the original sets of chips or ones similar to them. These chips make up the sonic character that we love. Digital modelled DSP is not going to give the same results. Here are the useful algorithms that make Lexicon desireable:

Halls - random, dark, concert
Plate - rich, vocal
Inverse
Room - Tiled, Large
Resonators
12 bit Prime Time style delay with VCO modulation and lo and hi pass filtering

IMO this is all that people really want from Lexicon and enjoy of what Lexicon has offered over the years.

Lexicon should just finally give us what we want...no extra stuff that we aren't going to use liek thier horrid chorus programs and multiband delays that Eventide does much better. Just make a simple box that does only the good Lexicon stuff and make it sound like a 224 and a Prime Time M93 combined which were and are the best Lexicons ever made in most people's opinion.

The 224 was the first Lexicon reverb developed by Standford university's Physics and sound design expert David Greisinger in the 1970's. Lexicon started off with a product that was over engineered and has been trying to figure out ways of making this great sound in a smaller, cheaper to manufacture, less labor intesive and a less maintinence and customer supprt intensive manner for years.

Now what we have ended up with is products that use the algoorithms that Greisinger developed but built into hardware that is cheap and the sound resembles nothing of what Lexicon made famous.

Lexicon needs to focus on quality and not quantity!!!!

I think that what needs to happen is Quantec needs to buy Lexicon out from Harmon Kardan (stockholder driven consumer crap company) and do what they did with the new Yardstick which is to put the classic sound of the digital reverbs of yesterday into a more reliable modern package for around $2000 to $3000.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search