The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Quality Headphone Amp
Old 3rd February 2012
Here for the gear

Quality Headphone Amp

Can anyone recommend a high quality 8 channel headphone amp. I am currently using the Behrringer Powerplay Pro-8. The functionality is perfect. Headphone outs in the front and the back, meters on each channel, two stereo ins plus individual ins for each channel. The only problem is it sounds like crap. The high end is so tinny and harsh, my clients complain. When I listen to the same source come out the headphone outs of my Apogee Symphony I/O it sounds great. I'm sick of having to eq my headphone sends just to make the signal listenable for reference. I'm not going to say price is no object but I know quality usually costs some doe. Looks like there are some good 4 and 6 channel amps out there but I do big bands. I'm starting to think my only option is to buy two 4 or 6 channel amps. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear Head

I've been looking around for a headphone recently and after going through literally every model available the one I'm going to get is probably going to be the Presonus HP60.

It's a 6 channel amp with 2 main stereo ins that you can blend between on each channel, a talkback channel with an xlr input for a dynamic mic (with footswitch plug), and also a direct in on each channel. It doesn't have any EQ which would be a nice touch but it seems to be the most flexible one around at the moment.

But if anyone has a better suggestion please correct me!
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear Guru

For a multi-headphone amp. I would look at the RANE - price is reasonable, quality is very high, and I think they do both a 6-channel and 8-channel version.
Old 3rd February 2012
teo
Lives for gear

I'm in the same boat as th OP. I use the Beringher POS, but is not loud enough! "Rock" clients are always complaining about the distorted sound in their cans, and it's embarrassing.

I use AKG 141s (55ohms). Can anyone comment if the Presonus or Rane pres will be a definite upgrade in headroom?
Thanks.

EDIT: I just saw that the RANE does not have a MIX A/MIX B feature, so it's nod good for me...how about that Presonus?
Old 3rd February 2012
Here for the gear

Definitely needs to have at least two stereo inputs. Drummers almost always need something way different in the cans.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search