The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Makes a Masterpiece
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear Addict

What Makes a Masterpiece

An interesting 3 part documentary on Channel 4 (UK)
What Makes a Masterpiece? - 4oD - Channel 4

Did anyone catch this? I'd be interested to hear a GS perspective.
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear Addict

Anything that facilitates the replication of the creator's mental state in the receiver/viewer. There has to be a polish to the execution, too. The focus of intent has to speak for itself.
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by recorder2 View Post
Anything that facilitates the replication of the creator's mental state in the receiver/viewer. There has to be a polish to the execution, too. The focus of intent has to speak for itself.
good definition

when the listener connects with the creator
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear Addict

I saw it. I'm just wondering, if any of you had the chance to cut the crap and scientifically engineer a hit, would you?

According to the movie episode of this doc, it's already common in Hollywood.
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear Addict

Synopsis of the music episode so you know what I'm talking about...

Matthew Cain explores music's extraordinary effect on the human brain, and learns that many composers are now exploiting the science of music in their work.

Travelling to the US, he meets Mike McReady, the creator of Hit Song Science - an algorithmic computer programme that shows how every hit song ever recorded falls into 'hit clusters', with many hits using the same four chords.

Now, artists and record labels are turning to the programme to predict chart success.

Using brain scans and monitors, Cain sees how listening to his favourite music changes his heartbeat and skin temperature and discovers clues to the evolutionary basis of music. He finds out how rhythm can bond people, and how different chords, tempo and rhythm stimulate the brain to release chemicals and produce certain moods.

Cain meets singer Will Young and composer Eg White to discuss if song writing is a creative process or a scientific one. Cain and White create a new tune specially crafted to tap into the reward pathways of the brain, and test it out at a nightclub. Will it be a hit on the dancefloor?

Can music be cynically created to move us? Or does it still need a mysterious musical brilliance and a cultural context to stand the test of time?
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassica View Post
I'm just wondering, if any of you had the chance to cut the crap and scientifically engineer a hit, would you?
Cut the crap...or cut everything but the crap?
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear Addict

The program can't account for organic adustments in the zeitgeist, and zeitgeist is responsible for a great deal of hits.

The idea of a fully automated hit analyzer is a nonstarter.

Call me in ninety years when a functional human-level AI has been built.
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
Cut the crap...or cut everything but the crap?

Just realised, anyone who might have seen this series is likely to be in bed now, as should I.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search