The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is PT EQ III enough?
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

Is PT EQ III enough?

I am thinking on buying some more plug ins for my PT LE 7.1, I have the free digi-EQ III-band, 7 band parametric EQ's. I am wonder who here likes the pultec EQ plug-ins? Which pultec plug is the one to get?
Is the sony oxford EQ worth the money???
Are there any other plugs for eq that you recommend?

peace
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear
The EQ III is actually a pretty decent sounding EQ... it totally ****s all over the Waves Q10... so that would be the best bet for a simple channel EQ... for severe sculpting and more options and flexibility, I highly suggest Elemental Audio's Eqium. Go to their website and check it out, download the free trial... definately worth the price. Its great for mastering/mixdown EQ. Elemental Audio's Firium is worth looking into, but I don't use it nearly as much as Eqium.
Old 6th May 2006
Gear Guru

All I use now is the Digi EQ III.

It sounds as good or better than the oxford (my old fav) and it sculps really well.

Outboard EQ is still better but the Digi III is one of those plugins that Digi really got right. thumbsup thumbsup
Old 6th May 2006
Gear Addict

I have barely used my Focusrite d2 EQ since I got the EQ III. I tend to use it for attenuating and then I add EQ with my console. But it can do some nice shaping also. I especially like the interface...very easy to use...grab a dot and start pulling it around.

I'd say you should invest your money elsewhere. heh
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'd say the Oxford EQ has a lot nicer sounding bottom end than the EQIII. I also feel like top end boost is 'plastic-y' with the EQIII.

Great for a few things, but I still use the URS, etc.
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

My favorite EQ plug-in is the MDW (Massenburg Design Works). It just does
exactly what I want from an EQ and nothing more; not there to add any
color, character or emulate anything.

Do a search on it. It seems to get high marks from just
about everyone.

good luck...
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

I actually think Digi did a really good job with both EQ III and the Dynamics III plug-ins. I use em all the time!
TommyD
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

I don't like it, it gets harsh & strident really fast. I much prefer the MDW & Oxford.

As always let your ears decide, download the demos of a bunch of them, put up matching curves on some tracks & compare.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

I love EQ3, and use it a lot. I also use the pultec plugs a ton (EQP-1A and MEQ-5).
For filters I've been using filter bank a lot. They sound better than other filters, but don't have that cool moog sound to them when you automate them. The filters on EQ3 are good when I want a clean filter, like to high pass the electric guitars or something to that effect.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777
I am thinking on buying some more plug ins for my PT LE 7.1, I have the free digi-EQ III-band, 7 band parametric EQ's. I am wonder who here likes the pultec EQ plug-ins? Which pultec plug is the one to get?
Is the sony oxford EQ worth the money???
Are there any other plugs for eq that you recommend?

peace

EQ3 is OK about as good as I have heard from a Plug.. and it's free
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Ah yes the pultec EQ plugs! Do you guys feel the pultec eq plugs are pretty good? Which ones do you have? What do you use them for?
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Eq iii is pretty good. The sony i think is slightly better for high end boosts, and the MDW is the best. Eq ii gets the most bang for the buck as far as how many chips it requires.
-brian
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777
Ah yes the pultec EQ plugs! Do you guys feel the pultec eq plugs are pretty good? Which ones do you have? What do you use them for?
The pultec bundle is superb for the tube emulation if that's what you're after.
I love that EQ for subtle changes. As you can tell, each has their own simple interface.

If you can still find the PTv7 upgrade PLUS packages, get it for $99- and choose the pultec bundle with all three included. Then you also have a choice of yet another plugin.

These are also being sold all over ebay since the v7 plus came out. Keep an eye out. It is three separate licences on your ilok @ $25- each.

You can always sell the v7 upgrade to make up the difference.

And yes, the Pultec's have a very different flavor to all the others combined.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamansDream
The pultec bundle is superb for the tube emulation if that's what you're after.
Which Pultec are you referring to? The Bomb Factory?
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Addict

Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd
I actually think Digi did a really good job with both EQ III and the Dynamics III plug-ins. I use em all the time!
TommyD
Me too. I had the EQIII on a few drum tracks while tracking overdubs. I just wanted a cut here & there. I forgot about them, and it came time to mix, and I was surprised when I found them there.

Yeah Randy, I'll use them to cut, high pass... At first I was a little skeptical, but I've come to trust them when I need them.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Dynamics III -- gate with look-ahead & 10 microsecond trigger time. Ka-POW! Use it all the time esp. on elec. SD & closed HH samples.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search