The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
best audio interface to go along with audio technica at 4040???
Old 2nd February 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
best audio interface to go along with audio technica at 4040???

i have an audio technica at 4040 and a fast track pro. the fast track pro is horrible. with cheaper mics its nice, but its not letting me use my at 4040 to its full capabilities.

right now my budget is $300 and i am thinking of getting a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6.

the preamps are great and it has enough ins for me. i will be using it for my mpc 1000 i get in the future or 2000 xl, my at4040 and my microkorg.

should i stick with this or is there a better one for $300 that fits my needs?
Old 3rd February 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
anyone?
Old 3rd February 2012
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
Waxavub's Avatar
 

Have you tried a good pre yet?
Old 3rd February 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxavub View Post
Have you tried a good pre yet?
not in my budget. im not buying a pre unless its a avalon 737. i want to get a better interface. i need one anyways. i need more ins. so if i get the focusrite its perfect unless theres a better interface for $300.
Old 3rd February 2012
  #5
mrc
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesp View Post
not in my budget. im not buying a pre unless its a avalon 737. i want to get a better interface. i need one anyways. i need more ins. so if i get the focusrite its perfect unless theres a better interface for $300.
avalon 737 isn t the only pre out there.
Old 3rd February 2012
  #6
JL.
Gear Nut
 
JL.'s Avatar
 

This could of easily been searched, but I guess most posts should be. There is so much good advice already on this site.

And why are you set on the Avalon as your first pre amp? have you used one?
Old 3rd February 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
The pres in the new Mackie Onyx interfaces are said to be really good. You can also try the Emu 0404, it's rather old but it goes well with the AT4040.
Old 3rd February 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL. View Post
This could of easily been searched, but I guess most posts should be. There is so much good advice already on this site.

And why are you set on the Avalon as your first pre amp? have you used one?
actually no, but i know how good it sounds. its used by alot of great musicians i have seen. i just dont want to spend money on a pre amp that is mediocre. i could get another interface with better pre amps
Old 3rd February 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesp View Post
actually no, but i know how good it sounds. its used by alot of great musicians i have seen. i just dont want to spend money on a pre amp that is mediocre. i could get another interface with better pre amps
They don't like Avalons here at Gearslutz.
Old 3rd February 2012
  #10
Gear Head
 
motupost's Avatar
 

I really think a pre amp is gonna improve your sounds more for 300. Mainly because a focusrite scarlett isnt really an upgrade, ok the pres might be slightly better, but for its main job (ad da) its not gonna be a big improvement. If you upgrade your interface you at least wanna be thinking motu, rme, etc...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Gearslutz.com
Old 3rd February 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by motupost View Post
I really think a pre amp is gonna improve your sounds more for 300. Mainly because a focusrite scarlett isnt really an upgrade, ok the pres might be slightly better, but for its main job (ad da) its not gonna be a big improvement. If you upgrade your interface you at least wanna be thinking motu, rme, etc...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Gearslutz.com
well i want to get a interface now and in the future have external preamps and ad da converters.

if its not a good idea then im thinking of keeping my interface and just upgrading to a motu traveler when i get money. should i still get another external pre amp or this i great how it is?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Jay Kahrs / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
72

Forum Jump
Forum Jump