The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Vox preamp under $500
Old 2nd February 2012
Here for the gear

Best Vox preamp under $500

I am looking to get a preamp for my home studio. Mainly used for Vox and AC guitar. Any thoughts on what's best? There are lots out there. I don't mind used either.
thanks!
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Addict

Focusrite ISA one
Old 2nd February 2012
Here for the gear

If you're a Mac user you can get a used Duet for less than that and a new one for not much more. If you're a PC user you could try to find a used Babyface in that price range.
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danak14 View Post
I am looking to get a preamp for my home studio. Mainly used for Vox and AC guitar. Any thoughts on what's best? There are lots out there. I don't mind used either.
thanks!
Ay, be careful with that word 'best' around here, people like to throw flames as if it's like saying 'Behringer'.

Anyway, dude, essentially what you're going to hear is that 'best' is completely opinion based. What someone feels is best on vocals and acoustic guitar can very possibly be considered crap by someone else.

If you want options, under $500 there are a hand full. Personally, I have 2 Golden Age Pre73's that work well on a variety of sources from bass to vocals, acoustic guitars and electric guitars. They are smooth and rather punchy, so for about $300-$400, you have a quite usable product. If you want to buy yourself a 500 series rack that you can add preamps to and in which one power supply/rack will hold at least 6, then I would highly recommend the Five Fish Studios X72mk500. Big, round and punchy. It's only a little more than $400, but a truly professional product.
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear
GAP73 is a fine choice. If you can find one out there in used land, a GT Brick is a highly underrated pre and likely better for your purposes, although incredibly un-user friendly so you need to know gain structuring really well to get it to shine.
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

There are too many..the GT Brick, Grace 101, the Duet FireWire, Golden Age 73s, Focusrite ISA one, Art Digital MPAIi, etc....

The are dozens that show only minor differences...and you have to try them to find the one that feels right for you.
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah the ISA One is an excellent choice under $500 and offers excellent value for money! The Grace M101 would also be worth trying and if the noise issue on the GAP PRE73 is sorted then that would also be an excellent option!
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

GAP Pre73 MkII...
Old 3rd February 2012
JL.
Gear Nut

If it has to be under $500, the Focusrite ISA is a steal. I've seen multiple auctions on ebay have it for $377 obo. I like the ISA pre amps personally. I've heard great things about the Golden Age Pre 73 as long as you know it doesn't sound like a real Neve 1073. But the ISA One is a great pre amp with good features.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search