The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Edit guitar D.I. tracks BEFORE reamping?
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Edit guitar D.I. tracks BEFORE reamping?

How do YOU do it?
Do you edit out string squeaks, (unwanted) palm thumps and sloppy string damping on the DI track before sending it back out to the amp?
Do you tighten the player's timing?
Add ITB noise reduction or EQ?
Obviously, with doubled tracks there's the need to keep SOME inconsistencies.
So...how deep do you edit (if at all) before reamping a track, how perfect is the raw guitar track that goes to the amp?
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Nut

I do all edits and then reamp. However, I judge what to edit with the original "amped" track (in my case an amp sim). I dont rely on the di track, since some things like string squeaks can change dramatically when run through a hi gain amp (or again in my case the amp sim).
Old 2nd February 2012
I tend to wait for the reamp moment to cut things like handmovements or other squeeks. In my experince the amp sim seems a little more sensitive for such things. At least with higher gain settings. So just in case of getting that "live" touch to the recording I wait to the last moment.

But that's me
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

What happens if you get through the entire record and, now that you're hearing the DI guitar track for the first time thru the amp, you wish you had used a gtr with single coils instead?
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
What happens if you get through the entire record and, now that you're hearing the DI guitar track for the first time thru the amp, you wish you had used a gtr with single coils instead?
I use an amp sim setup to sound close to what I want from the final sound, so I don't have surprises like this. The reamp process just let me tweak a bit for that last 10%.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search