The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
x73i vs. chameleon labs 7602 question
Old 5th May 2006
Gear Head

x73i vs. chameleon labs 7602 question

Hi everybody,

I rented a x73i this past week to use in my guitar chain. What I liked about it was the solid low-end that I heard. I also liked the eq alot. The top end was nice and airy without seeming harsh. It made the whole sound seem tighter.

I will probably go with the x73i but I was wondering what differences I might hear with the chameleon labs 7602. I will be using the unit mosting in my guitar chain signal so very little recording will be done with it. BTW I've never heard a neve 1073 except on records and I really don't care how close each unit gets to it.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Jon
Old 5th May 2006
Gear Addict

do a search, you will find this topic covered ad nauseum.
Old 5th May 2006
Gear Head

Thanks for the useless response. i've done a search and found nothing directly comparing the two as it relates to the guitar. Especially put directly in the chain.
Old 5th May 2006
Gear Addict

sorry man. i wasnt trying to be "useless." Ive read personally tons of threads about the vintech vs. the 7602. in fairness, I havnt heard anything about using it in a guitar rig. I mean, i dont think i'd find many who would use it in a live rig...and if your using it in a studio setting, you will definitely find them both VERY much effective. i know for a fact the 7602 (since ive done so), when a recorded guitar track is ran back through it, the filters and EQ are invaluable. you can dial in a killer guitar sound, and it is pretty smooth.

many attest that it doesnt sound like the Neve, but it comes dam close and that is worth the money there. if you want a Neve, id save and buy the Neve. but as far as an all Chinese built self-proclaimed Neve clone, the 7602 is pretty nice for the buck. the Vintech's are as well..probably a little smoother than the 7602, and also 2x's the cost.
Old 5th May 2006
Lives for gear

...you might want to check the new issue of Electronic Musician which gives a very thorough, in-depth review of the 7602...it got high marks for the EQ and did well on the preamp performance...also, the tech who restored and rackmounted my Neve 1290 (1073 minus the EQ) has looked them over as well, and was impressed with the handwired 3-stage "cloned" Neve design...gain switch is also gold-ended 3-stage, and transformers are wound to emulate the originals...actually they copied a Chandler pre (which is also a Neve clone)...all in all, a very sweet pre for so little dollars...

...great price here:
http://www.frontendaudio.com/Chamele..._EQ_p/3145.htm
Old 6th May 2006
Gear Head

Thanks for the responses guys. I pickup up a 7602 from front end using that coupon. I'll check it out and see if it will work for me.

Thanks again
Old 6th May 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes
...great price here:
http://www.frontendaudio.com/Chamele..._EQ_p/3145.htm
***EXTRA 5% discount until 5/7 with coupon code
We send those coupons out to our customers and don't really post them on the web like that. I can't stop anybody from privately sharing with a friend obviously, and I really can't "stop" anybody from posting them on public forums...but I'd rather not find them on the web.

The choice is yours, and we've shot the **** on the phone & you do business with us and I am thankful! Don't take this as a knock, it's just not our intention to see them end up here.

It's sort of a loyalty thing, once somebody does business with us and joins the mailing list they get some "surprise" discounts on certain holidays (and other times because we feel like pumping a little extra business).

Thanks, this stuff is at your discretion but I wanted to voice my little point of view.

War
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

Interesting.....

I opened up a Vintech X73i and it looks NOTHING like the C LABS or the Chandler or BAE stuff.... Kind of weird but seems more modern. Not to say it doesnt sound great though~
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
We send those coupons out to our customers and don't really post them on the web like that. I can't stop anybody from privately sharing with a friend obviously, and I really can't "stop" anybody from posting them on public forums...but I'd rather not find them on the web.
...sorry War...feel free to edit out of your post as I did...no harm intended...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search