The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So Which Producer Are You?
Old 31st January 2012

So Which Producer Are You?

Hey guys,

Been doing much thinking around this subject, and it seems the poor producer now days has allot to deal with don't you think?

What type of music producer am I exactly whilst I am producing music?

The process of which I made a track had me asking many questions.

Am I the engineer whilst i dial in on that compressor?
Am I the sound designer whilst i create that analog snare on my new drum machine?
Am I a drummer as i play in that beat?
Am i a computer technician as I try to figure how the hell I get that new sysex software update in my new drum machine?

All these questions and many more have me asking my self is now the time to step back and reflect as to who and what I am whilst I am in the process of making music.
Am I the creative person I was 5 or 10 years ago, the creative person that got me into this thing in the first place?

Probably not!

How do you guys separate the musical creative process from the engineering want to be side of you?

You see I don't want to be a sound designer, but I am to proud to just use a sample, so i create my own.
I don't want to just use a sample for the ambience I wish to use in my track, so I record my own with my field track recorder.
I dont want to just make the music and then send my mix stems to a sound engineer, I want to mix it myself.
But is this not why we have engineers?

Oh I don't know.
Like I said it is tough being a music producer now days i think.
Maybe I am just over exaggerating the whole matter a little.
Maybe this is what being creative is all about.
As a last thought i will leave you with the Wikipedia version of a music producer

A record producer is an individual working within the music industry, whose job is to oversee and manage the recording (i.e. "production") of an artist's music. A producer has many roles that may include, but are not limited to, gathering ideas for the project, selecting songs and/or musicians, coaching the artist and musicians in the studio, controlling the recording sessions, and supervising the entire process through mixing and mastering. Producers also often take on a wider entrepreneurial role, with responsibility for the budget, schedules, and negotiations.

Hmm mentions nothing about sound design, playing the drums or actually mixing does it!

Have we may be need to change the title. Every music producer i know does much of the same as i do, and often more then not will call him self a producer.

Share your thoughts please.
Old 31st January 2012
Gear nut

I personally think you might better spend your time just working. You're being a bit over-analytical about who and what you are.
Get a guru, have him solve your personal dilemma, then go back to the studio and put a smile on your clients faces with a great end result.
Old 31st January 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksoff View Post
I personally think you might better spend your time just working. You're being a bit over-analytical about who and what you are.
Get a guru, have him solve your personal dilemma, then go back to the studio and put a smile on your clients faces with a great end result.

Maybe
Old 31st January 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah ..."producer" very loose term nower days
I find myself being creative musically and engineering at the the same time..
in other words i pull up a sound/sample/sequence and treat it there and then which maybe to EQ it, reverse it,glitch it,filter it or all of them till i get it where i want ,then move on to another aspect of the composition until i have got to place i like ..usually the piece is finished then so all the musical ideas production and engineering are done at the same time ,i don't see them as a separate process
Old 31st January 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
Yeah ..."producer" very loose term nower days
I find myself being creative musically and engineering at the the same time..
in other words i pull up a sound/sample/sequence and treat it there and then which maybe to EQ it, reverse it,glitch it,filter it or all of them till i get it where i want ,then move on to another aspect of the composition until i have got to place i like ..usually the piece is finished then so all the musical ideas production and engineering are done at the same time ,i don't see them as a separate process
Yeah it works for you though ha?

Its funny i do this sometimes!

Indeed it is a loose term, sounds like you have a nice method though, hey if it works go with it.
Just very keen to hear about other guys on here.
Always nice to get another perspective on the process of production!
Old 31st January 2012

Oh by the way sampling is great, i did it for years.
Old 31st January 2012
Lives for gear

Everybody's a producer now. I just ask that my clients call me "master of time and space" and pay me accordingly.

-R
Old 31st January 2012
Gear interested

I got into mixing as a means of bringing the quality of my music to the next level. What I didn't realize is just how much learning the art of mixing actually helps with my creativity. Knowing more about everything gives me more tools to work with.
Old 31st January 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTake View Post
I got into mixing as a means of bringing the quality of my music to the next level. What I didn't realize is just how much learning the art of mixing actually helps with my creativity. Knowing more about everything gives me more tools to work with.
True true
Old 31st January 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
Everybody's a producer now. I just ask that my clients call me "master of time and space" and pay me accordingly.

-R
Also very true
Old 31st January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post

-R
effing great

john

Can I use that in my signature BTW?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search