The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Equipment Overuse?
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

Studio Equipment Overuse?

When is there a point when your equipment needs a brake from being used? Im turning on my mic and pre almost everyday and leaving it on for a couple hours. Is this too much?

How often do you guys leave your studio equipment running and how long are you supposed to let things cool off? Ive herd some people leave things on for hours but that cant be healthy for the equipment right?

I just want to make sure I wont have to replace anything hopefully for the rest of my life.
Old 30th January 2012
Gear Nut

It depends on the age and health of the equipment. But that being said most of the time my gear gets left on 12 plus hours because of work. Make sure your gear has some ventilation, that will help prolong its life. And be smart, dont turn your equipment on and off repeatedly very quickly.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

12 hours?!? Thats crazy! Well I guess if your having no problems then I should be fine. Yea, I never turn things on and off quickly. Thanks for the advise!!
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

i have seen gear left on for years in the studios I used to work in. I leave my stuff on for weeks at a time. I also have everything properly ventilated.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

Wow thats crazy! I guess studio gear was made to be left on a long time then. Thats whats up! I never knew that thats tight. I just have one preamp on a table but when i touch it its not hot. Just a little warm. Should I invest in a rack even though i just have one preamp so its not on a table?
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

Think of a lightbulb - they break when you turn them ON not while they are working (usually) as long as its well ventilated there shouldnt be any issues
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

I leave everything on except the computer.
There is some debate over turning gear off
And then on stresses the gear.

Modern gear is not as affected.
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

for what its worth. I also clean my gear thoroughly once a year. Dust build up is far worse for your gear then leaving it on all the time.
Old 3rd February 2012
Cycles of heating and cooling put more stress on parts than a stable temperature. And heat prevents moisture forming on cold steel surfaces. Better to wear out than rust out.
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear Addict

The only time I've ever even seen the console here get turned off was to get re-capped. Unless its repairs or switching stuff around it stays on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search