The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DIGIDESIGN 003 RACK. 1-4 inputs. DI OR LINE?
Old 28th January 2012
  #1
Gear Nut
 

DIGIDESIGN 003 RACK. 1-4 inputs. DI OR LINE?

I have the digi 002 rack presently.
For the line inputs 1-8, i have the outs 1-8 of my mixing desk going in.

On the digi 003 rack, i noticed that 1-4 are DI, 5-8 are Line.
Does this mean I will not be able to use the Digi 003 for the same purpose?

Are the DI and Line the same,do the same, sound the same?
Or can i not have a preamp being plugged into the 1-4 DI line?

What exactly is the difference between DI and Line, on a technical level?

Thank you
Old 9th April 2012
  #2
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlierokit View Post
I have the digi 002 rack presently.
For the line inputs 1-8, i have the outs 1-8 of my mixing desk going in.

On the digi 003 rack, i noticed that 1-4 are DI, 5-8 are Line.
Does this mean I will not be able to use the Digi 003 for the same purpose?

Are the DI and Line the same,do the same, sound the same?
Or can i not have a preamp being plugged into the 1-4 DI line?

What exactly is the difference between DI and Line, on a technical level?

Thank you
On the Digi 003 Rack, Inputs 1-4 serve as BOTH a, "Line In" & "Digital Instrument". Where 5-8 Inputs only serve as one. I would say inputs 5-8 are more for line level equipment that have their own levels they support, (my Avalon 737sp for example) where DI inputs with gain would be the input to use for synths or drum machines etc...
Old 9th April 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Don S's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI.Entertainment View Post
On the Digi 003 Rack, Inputs 1-4 serve as BOTH a, "Line In" & "Digital Instrument". Where 5-8 Inputs only serve as one. I would say inputs 5-8 are more for line level equipment that have their own levels they support, (my Avalon 737sp for example) where DI inputs with gain would be the input to use for synths or drum machines etc...
Yes, inputs 1-4 have a preamp stage to them that will take +4/-10, 5-8 do not and will probably yield better S/N ratio and more dynamic range.
Old 8th May 2012
  #4
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Yes, inputs 1-4 have a preamp stage to them that will take +4/-10, 5-8 do not and will probably yield better S/N ratio and more dynamic range.
thank you all
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump