The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME UFX routing... do i need a patchbay?? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 27th January 2012
Here for the gear
RME UFX routing... do i need a patchbay??

Hi there

so basically my setup is Logic, RME UFX, Chandler TG2, API 2500. im looking to use the TG2 to 2500 as my main recording path in for vocals mainly.

but i tend to record tracks out from Logic alot to run through the TG2 and API either in a chain or singulary. so i figure if i have a patchbay it will be the easiest way to connect all the gear to the UFX and then patch gear when needed

or... is there routing functions in the UFX where basically i can do with out the physical patchbay and just have the TG2 and API connected to dedicated ins and outs on the UFX and then patch them together in succession if needed via routing in the UFX software.

just trying to work out the most efficient way to organize this gear

any info greatly appreciated
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Check the manual, but I don't think you can go through the UFX analogue I/O without a round of ADDA (two if you use both devices). This will add a small amount of latency. Some DAWs can measure the latency of an external send/return loop so they can compensate. Some don't.

I'd probably get some MDF and build a little patchbay / switchboard though.
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Do not know to much about your gear, however recently I built a new studio and I installed a patch bay, your gear and set up would suit this perfectly I am guessing.

Patch bays are cheap and this is what you can expect from one:

Optimization for your signal routing and organisation
Save wear and tear on the connections of your equipment
Experimentation and routing options
reduce ground loop noise issues

Just some of the benefits of installing a simple patch bay to your studio.

Oh and remember a patch bay is useless if you do not label your patch bay, if you do not have one purchase an office labeler.
Old 27th January 2012
I have a FireFace 800 and if the TotalMix software is similar for the UFX (which I'm guessing it is apart from the DSP) you should be able to achieve this by going into the "Matrix..." section of TotalMix.

You should be able to hardwire the input of the mic to the output going into the Chandler/API whatever.. then you could record the output of the last piece of outboard in your chain..

Hope this helps!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search