The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can any amp techs save my life here? Marshall JMP high-pitched buzz after daisy chain Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear
Ok, sm57 on cone through zed pre, analog out to soundcard mic input.

What's going on:

-power and standby on you may hear a little funky hum which is the microphonic tube. Master vol up, NO input cable plugged in and the gain rolling up, so you hear the 'normal' amp hum. You also may hear me tapping on the microphonic tube. Now gain turned down.

-now I plug a cable in, it was already plugged into the guitar, you hear me turn up the amp gain, then I'll unplug the guitar and you hear just the cable plugged in and I'll turn up the gain and THAT's when you hear the horrendous buzzzz. I mess around with the volume a lot (swells and such) which is kinda annoying, but my god is it painful to listen to in person.

-then I plug in the guitar, and with the amp gain up I'll roll up the guitar volume, and you now hear the buzzzzz yet again, then I'll start playing a little and you hear how that sounds. I;ll flip through the pickups, and you can maybe tell that the buzz is a little more 'focused' when on the single pup's, as is typical of normal behavior.

- one weird thing is that the recording will kinda ''fizz'' out, it's a liitle hard to explain, but the amp/ guitar wasn't doing that...I believe that my awesome recording rig is the cause of that (where the volume seemingly dies out or fuzzes out... b/c I have a stupid 1/4" to 1/8" adapter plugged into the computer from the 1/4'' cable out of the zed, and it may have been losing connection there.

-anyway, you can clearly hear the buzz, and you may hear me tapping a little on the microphonic power tube towards the end as well.

Hope this helps, I'd like to of done a better job maybe I'll post another clip...
Attached Files

buzz.mp3 (1.98 MB, 262 views)

Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Speaker cable used as gtr cable
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Given the low level of your guitar I have to say there might be something
To what the poster Winey is saying.

Are you sure you aren't using a speaker cable - open it up and see if it's shielded.
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winey View Post
Speaker cable used as gtr cable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
Given the low level of your guitar I have to say there might be something
To what the poster Winey is saying.

Are you sure you aren't using a speaker cable - open it up and see if it's shielded.
wow.

just

wow.

I swear I changed cables multiple times, and each one was a godam amp cable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I need to organize my cables better, oh my god man...)

What a good ****ing laugh this has been....

Thank you magnificent bastards greatly, I can't believe it...heh

(just need to get that bad tube replaced and I should be good to go)

If my gear was up I'd record/play you a song right now, in dedication of everyone's persistent efforts!
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfdsa View Post
I swear I changed cables multiple times, and each one was a godam amp cable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I need to organize my cables better, oh my god man...)
What a good ****ing laugh this has been.... :!

LOL! It takes a big man to admit that...but you know...I've been there
...really brainless things because I was distracted! That's what I say at least!
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfdsa View Post
wow.

just

wow.

What a good ****ing laugh this has been....

Thank you magnificent bastards greatly, I can't believe it...heh

(just need to get that bad tube replaced and I should be good to go)

If my gear was up I'd record/play you a song right now, in dedication of everyone's persistent efforts!
we've all been there

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search