The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Focasrite ISA failed - recommend a pre Single-Channel Preamps
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

My Focasrite ISA failed - recommend a pre

My 220 has crapped out, I"ll get it fixed but it is a few years old, so what sub £1000 pre would you recommend? my main mike is a u87 so I need phantom power - I'd appreciate your views, thanks.
Old 21st January 2012
Gear Addict

ISA One

The ISA One is a fine pre-amp. Fairly portable as well.

I also like Universal Audio 710 Twin-Finity.

Just my opinion...
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

You might want to check a 2 slot lunchbox (or a regular API lunchbox, if budget allows) and an Avedis MA5.. It sounds great! There's also a 28k button that will give some nice air on many sources if needed, like ac gtr, bckg vox, etc..

It will last you forever, very well built with the best components avalaible, and thought to be serviced with ease (in about 20 years from now).

It should fit your budget..At least being around 1k..
775$ for the module and about 300 to 400ish $ for the rack depending what you will choose. If you buy a 6 space lunchbox, in the future you might add some hardware EQ's and/or compressors.. Plenty of choices in the 500 series world

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks - both options are on my list.
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

An ISA220?? Why not send it to Focusrite to get fixed? They can probably update it, swap out old components and will run a whole lot less than buying anything in the $500-$600 range that is only a preamp when that ISA has quite usable EQ and compression. That's what I would do.
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
An ISA220?? Why not send it to Focusrite to get fixed? They can probably update it, swap out old components and will run a whole lot less than buying anything in the $500-$600 range that is only a preamp when that ISA has quite usable EQ and compression. That's what I would do.
Yup I'm going to contact them on Monday - just pissed that a whole session was lost, and I'm thinking of getting a 2nd pre to avoid more down time
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

They dont break often. One question.....Is it racked fairly tightly with other devices? All Focusrite ISA series, especially older units create a lot of heat and need at least a half space above and below. Just a suggestion.

For that price range and even a bit cheaper used, a Eureka strip is as good as it gets for the money. Nothing exciting but usable. I still have mine and it does get some use on some sources occasionally. Its not a WOW factor thing but it doesnt disappoint nor does it pull anything out of the source you want to keep. Utility.
Old 21st January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
My 220 has crapped out, I"ll get it fixed but it is a few years old, so what sub £1000 pre would you recommend? my main mike is a u87 so I need phantom power - I'd appreciate your views, thanks.
There are a lot of sub £1000 preamps. A thousand pounds is what in USD right now?

Brent Averill DMP if trying to get something different. I second the MA5 or the Great River.

Daking?

A Hardy M1 would be a solid investment that you would NEVER sell.

Can you solder? CAPI stuff is good too.

Or on the cheap, the BLA b12a?

I would get the old one fixed for sure. Probably a bad capacitor or something.
Did you look inside? Could be a $1.00 fix.

Good luck,
john
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic dogg View Post
They dont break often. One question.....Is it racked fairly tightly with other devices? All Focusrite ISA series, especially older units create a lot of heat and need at least a half space above and below. Just a suggestion.

For that price range and even a bit cheaper used, a Eureka strip is as good as it gets for the money. Nothing exciting but usable. I still have mine and it does get some use on some sources occasionally. Its not a WOW factor thing but it doesnt disappoint nor does it pull anything out of the source you want to keep. Utility.
Yup it's in a tight rack space -I've had for 7 years, amazing how these things go, 2 days earlier my Marshall JMP1 went, been chasing spares for that at the mo - just hope these things don't go in 3's

Some great ideas - thanks slutzs
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic dogg View Post
They dont break often.
I've worked in 3 studios that have 220s but have never had the chance to use one as ALL of them have been non-functional when I was there. One of the studio owners even told me he'd given up having it fixed it went out so often... One studio in LA had a rack of the original 110s (the vertical ones) damn those were amazing!
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I've worked in 3 studios that have 220s but have never had the chance to use one as ALL of them have been non-functional when I was there. One of the studio owners even told me he'd given up having it fixed it went out so often... One studio in LA had a rack of the original 110s (the vertical ones) damn those were amazing!
Ouch - I'm going to need a back up.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search