The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Minibrute vs Minitaur
Old 20th January 2012
Gear Addict

Minibrute vs Minitaur

Edit:

Let me edit this whole post.

Ok, Out of Arturia's Minibrute, and Moog's Minitaur which do you think is going to sell more units, and which will maintain it's value more. Also, do you think one will have a better sound clearly over the other? Will the Minibrute be head to head with the Minitaur in the bass department? Which of these units would you pick up first?

Last edited by Cicatrix; 21st January 2012 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: allow me to clean up the cornyness.
Old 31st January 2012
Gear interested

I think Mini Brute will sell more because it's more versatile overall. The Minitaur is unique sounding, a bit more of a niche product perhaps. It may even be too dark and heavy for some styles. I think each instrument will hold its value well. On the used market we'll probably see a lot of Mini Brutes on the streets and less common and will be the Minitaur. Just my guess. Makes no difference to me, I will get both. heh
Old 27th July 2014
Gear interested

Minibrut vs Minitaur (vs Waldorf Pulse 2)

Just thought I would bring this thread a live again:

Today I went to my local music shop in the hope of buying a Moog Minitaur @ a good price to accompany my Virus Ti. While there, I had the opportunity to compare the Minitaur, Minibrute and Pulse 2 - side by side. Here are my thoughts:

Minibrute: I found that although it does create a big sound, the actual tonal character was not that greater quality IMO. Sounded a bit cheap… It was hard to get a good, clean, rounded n chunky bassline out of it as there was too much grit in the sound. The AMP decay knob sensitivity was very “touch and go” trying to create a short stabby/bouncy bassline. Frankly, I couldn’t get any likable sounds out of it at all. Cut off filter is alright but didn’t blow my skirt up… Over rated synth I reckon.

Minitaur: By far this one had the best overall tone quality (aside from the fact the ACO pot was scratchy on the test unit in the shop…). The Moog cut-off filter is simply awesome - I now see what the rave is about! I didn’t feel inspired by this synth at all though and felt a little bit disappointed at its limited functionality whilst playing it. Would I get $745 odd worth of joy out of it? Hmmm probably not… BUT I would love to take it home and see how it sits in my music as some of the tones were very warm and ‘complete’ sounding.

Pulse 2: This was the one I had the most fun with to be honest. The menu diving (using the display data on the front) was actually quite easy and intuitive and I spent quite a bit of time on it shaping sounds. Not what I was looking for however I managed to whip up some pretty nice sounds and arps with it and could easily have bought it then and there if I did not already own my Virus! The LP filter was ok – not great. Unfortunately it still sounded less ‘warm’ compared to the Minitaur but definitely more interesting and one of the more engaging synths I have played with.

Conclusion: Out of the 3 I will probably buy the Minitaur. Because to me it’s tones sound warmer and richer which essentially is what I am looking for in my basslines. I already have the Virus and tonnes of soft synths which create every other sound I need so I only need a bass synth. The price I think is still too high for this synth (AU $742) I think so I am still on the fence with it. I would be happy to pay AU $500-$600 max given its limitations.
Old 27th July 2014
Gear Guru
You should look at the Novation Bass Station 2 as well. I have the Minitaur, and it's a great sounding bass synth. But it's not a lead synth (the notes cut out at some point - it's only a bass synth, like the Taurus pedal it derives from). The BS2 is much more versatile in every way, can save patches, awesome arpeggiator, has both Moog and SH101 type filters, and distortion before and after the filter, can do sync oscillator stuff like a Prophet, etc, etc.

Ultimately, they are all desirable and all different. I tend to agree that for bass only duties the Moog probably wins, but I do understand the point made above that it may be too fat for some styles. You can always make it skinny with eq or a bass amp or something.
Old 27th July 2014
Gear Addict

...i love my minitaur....

but it's pretty much a one trick pony....
Old 11th August 2014
Gear interested

for me theres no comparision, I own the minitaur and the minibrute and the minitaur is a better synth: better (amazing) sound, better filter, 1000 times bettetr bass, more sweet spots......
minibrute is a lead/fx synth, not a very musical synth, and can not do good basses.....
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search