The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best 8-mic input interface for the buck?
Old 17th January 2012
Gear Nut

Best 8-mic input interface for the buck?

Hey guys, there is so much gear that I need in order to do a whole band recording but right now I'd say the most important is a new interface.

I use a macbook pro, and have been stuck with my mbox2 for over three years - now I'm finally in a financial place where I can upgrade.

I have been considering either the Tascam 1800 or the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R. By all means I am open to any piece of gear though, if someone has a different suggestion.

Mainly what I am looking for is at least 8 inputs with pretty decent pres. I'm a Pro Tools user, so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pay for the Pro Tools 10 upgrade so that I don't have to use an Avid interface (I'm still on Pro Tools 7).

I'd like to hit around the $500 price range. Do you guys think that would be possible with what I am looking for?
Old 17th January 2012
Gear Addict

Focusrite pro 40 would be another option.
Old 17th January 2012
Gear Head

Yes, I would also say Focusrite in this price range.
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

I like the M-Audio Profire 2626.
Old 17th January 2012
Gear Nut

Do you guys have any experience with these pieces? I know it isn't going to be the same as a 2 grand unit, but I'm looking for something that I will be pleased with and will want to keep for a long time.
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Nut

bump
Old 18th January 2012
Here for the gear

I love my MOTU 8pre, the converters are clean and the pres are nice. Another bonus is the fact that you can chain 4 of em together.
Old 18th January 2012

No-one has tried them all, but from what I have tried I would recommend the m-audio 2626, or the Mackie Onyx

m
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenEdwardsAud View Post
Do you guys have any experience with these pieces? I know it isn't going to be the same as a 2 grand unit, but I'm looking for something that I will be pleased with and will want to keep for a long time.
Yes, the Profire 2626 is what I use in my studio every day. I had quite a few choices at the time as I was working for a retailer and could buy any of them at cost. I went with the M-Audio.
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Another vote for the M-Audio Profire 2626.

Never gave me any problem (Mac), it's got plenty of inputs, it's quite flexible and the pres are much smoother than the ones on the MBox2.

I had a bad experience with a Tascam 8-input unit, although not the one you mentioned. I think it was an US-1641. It kept disconnecting and giving me sync problems with Logic.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Profire 2626. If you still want an upgrade, give it to black lion audio
Old 18th January 2012
I've used the Profire 2626 on Mac(10.6.6) and PC(XP) with Logic/PT and didnt have any issues. I've had it for about 3 years and haven't outgrown it.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Steinberg MR816. It's around $575-600 street price. I own two of them. Way better conversion and mic pres than anything else mentioned, and quite a few that cost more. Will sound very close to the two grand units you speak of. Really. Can't beat them!
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Nut

I currently use a Zoom R24, as it's got 8 XLR mic/line inputs and works great when controlling/interfacing with Reaper, but also allows me to record quick ideas directly to an SD card and has 2 built in condenser mics for super quick demos.

That said, if you need outputs it's not ideal, as it's only got one set of stereo outs.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Mr816, search for the reviews here, but people are saying amazing things about it
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Another vote for focus rite. I love my pro10, it works perfectly with my older mac book pro, and has spdif in for my grace pres. I paid 180$ for mine on eBay. The pro10 has a lighter feature set and no adat but solid pres and conversion.
Old 18th January 2012
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40!
Old 18th January 2012
Quote:
Profire 2626. If you still want an upgrade, give it to black lion audio
+1
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

I would say steer clear of the Fast Track Ultra 8R. We have one at work and I haven't been that impressed with it. Not a lot of headroom in the pre's. Kinda goes from low to clipping without much in between...
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Nut

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I will look into each and every one of them.

I was just recently reading about this unit: ART TubeFire 8 FireWire Recording Interface: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

It has been discontinued, but I saw a guy asking $350 for it on craigslist. Just wondering if it would be a good addition to add to whatever interface I go with.
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Nut

If anyone is curious, after some research I've decided I'm going to go with the M-Audio 2626.
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlejon View Post
Mr816, search for the reviews here, but people are saying amazing things about it
It is amazing - amazingly untransparent .

Transparency isn't everything of course (although it is what I would personally want in a converter). The ways in which a unit might be non-transparent wouldn't all necessarily sound bad.
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenEdwardsAud View Post
Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I will look into each and every one of them.

I was just recently reading about this unit: ART TubeFire 8 FireWire Recording Interface: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

It has been discontinued, but I saw a guy asking $350 for it on craigslist. Just wondering if it would be a good addition to add to whatever interface I go with.
Regarding a possible spare unit you may want to check out the TASCAM 1641 (or subsequent evolutions), with 16 ins and 4 outs, balanced connectors, 8 xlr for mics, below 200 used I'd say...
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
I like the M-Audio Profire 2626.
+1!!!
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
Steinberg MR816. It's around $575-600 street price. I own two of them. Way better conversion and mic pres than anything else mentioned, and quite a few that cost more. Will sound very close to the two grand units you speak of. Really. Can't beat them!
+2

unbelievable conversion and amazing pre's
Old 2nd February 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioexmachina View Post
Regarding a possible spare unit you may want to check out the TASCAM 1641 (or subsequent evolutions), with 16 ins and 4 outs, balanced connectors, 8 xlr for mics, below 200 used I'd say...
I have one and like it but you can not set up an aggregate device with it.
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Echo Audiofire Pre8

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search