The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mouse clicking PAIN. Its killing me and killing my hand... Alternatives?
Old 17th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Mouse clicking PAIN. Its killing me and killing my hand... Alternatives?

From editing a lot of automations and hours of post production audio work, my hand pain is killing me... i need to find a reliable alternative soon, my hand will be gone soon... lol

what is the most confortable thing you ever worked with?

im on pro tools and i click a lot and use scrolling too.

thanks
Old 17th January 2012
Here for the gear

I make beats and dj. I h8 clicking and it's one of the main reasons why I still use turntables, a rane ttm57 mixer and an MPC.

Have u thot of touchscreen and/or touch projection/emulators?
Old 17th January 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by makasi View Post
From editing a lot of automations and hours of post production audio work, my hand pain is killing me... i need to find a reliable alternative soon, my hand will be gone soon... lol

thanks

Try a trackball.

Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Many threads on this.

Bottom line, the wireless thumbscroll trackball from Kensington is quite possibly the single best investment I've ever made in the studio... for a long list of reasons that people who haven't tried it probably don't fully understand.

Short version... it moves with me if need be, and sits on my chair armrest... NOT the desk. My arm is fully relaxed at all times, my wrist is not held at all, but falls naturally, and only my thumb moves unless I click with a finger. People always seem to suggest other things, but nothing compares ergonomically... and I broke my arm and wrist in 3 places a couple years ago including dislocating my elbow, wrist, and thumb.

edit: THUMBSCROLL!!! BIG difference. The other kind forces your wrist to move and may contribute to carpal tunnel. I am also a licensed neuro-muscular therapist, btw, and have done quite a lot of rehabilitative work.
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Trackball +1

It takes some getting used to, but once you get it you'll never want to use a mouse again.
Old 17th January 2012
Gear Addict

This: RollerMousePro2 - RollerMouse Pro 2 - Roller Mouse Pro2 saved me years ago. Takes about a week to get used to. I had severe hand pain. Ever since switching to this unit I can go 16 hours with no issues whatsoever.
Old 17th January 2012
Gear Guru

griffin powermate = scrolling or zooming. trackball = variation. key commands = bypassing hand eye co-ordination.
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

I switched hands.

Broke my shoulder snowmobiling a few years ago, hand to practice left-handed and then when the carpal tunnel signs reared up in my right hand, I switched to my left. Now I'm adept w. a mouse in either hand and can switch back and forth as necessary.

Left handed mousing frees up the right for writing and/or keyboard duties. I still switch to the right when I need fine motor control for a particular task (I can do it leftie, but I'm still faster right).
Old 17th January 2012
Gear Addict

Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

I think the key is to have multiple options for common operations. Give your hands a break by switching things up periodically.

I don't know ProTools at all, but in Reaper I have programmed up tons of keyboard shortcuts that I've assigned to a hotkeys on my logitech G110 keyboard and G13 keypad. Zooming with the keyboard is preferable to me. I also make frequent use of my control surface (MCU Pro).

I tend to find click+drag operations to be the ones that are the most fatiguing...they might be a good target for shortcuts.

Good luck.

Cheers

Kris
Old 17th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenemo View Post
What's this?

+1 for trackball.
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by makasi View Post

thanks
It's killing me too and has become a big issue for me as well
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Maniac

guys . trackball seems the way! i heard they were discontinued. especially the thing about puting on the arm chair!!! its just a great idea!!

ill give it ago with the track ball. no way i hate trackpad :!

thanks fellaz
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

I have a wireless laser mouse (logitech revolution) and I use it on my chair's armrest or even on my lap all the time while working. I worked with a trackball for a few years and never had the religious epiphany with it that so many seem to. You get used to using one pretty fast, no doubt, but I still think I prefer a mouse.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

A good therapy for hand and wrist pain is to squeeze the muscle that is located between the thumb and forefinger. Massage this as hard as you can take it( and it will hurt like a mofo), and you should notice an improvement.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Wacom Bamboo pen and touch. Easily the best mouse replacement you can get. A pen is much more precise and natural, and you've got a programmable rocker button under your thumb for right clicks, double clicks, or whatever.
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Nut

kensington expert mouse optical trackball:

Kensington - Laptop & Desktop - Trackballs - Expert Mouse Optical Trackball

I won't work without one. On a DAW or otherwise.
Old 18th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingustoo View Post
A good therapy for hand and wrist pain is to squeeze the muscle that is located between the thumb and forefinger. Massage this as hard as you can take it( and it will hurt like a mofo), and you should notice an improvement.
Is this a joke?

It's a pressure point if you whack it hard enough it will temporarily paralyze your wrist. Wrist pain is usually caused when you hand is palm down and you wrist is moving left or right but the forearms isn't moving, just like when you use a traditional mouse. It put's strain on you tendons and rubs on the casing of your carpal tunnel. It can cause carpal tunnel syndrome very rarely but usually causes rsi. The wrist joint is "designed" to primarily have an up and down motion from the same position I just explained. A low carb diet can prevent scar tissue build up or swelling inside your carpool tunnel. You can try stuff like cod liver oil or Glucosamine Sulphate and Chondrotin Sulphate based join care supplements that really did the trick for me with in about 1-2 weeks, I'm a drummer so wrist i had wrist problems before I changed my technique. Also works great for tennis elbow.

I'm afraid if you've caused damage to you carpal tunnel the pain may go with a new ergonomic mouse but you will loose some movement. I highly recommend a Glucosamine Sulphate Chondrotin Sulphate based supplement. It also helps prevent osteoarthritis.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Dunno why all the trackball suggestions. For clicking, you have to click on it too ... just like a mouse. But for navigation (not to solve your clicking problem), trackballs are pretty cool.
Old 18th January 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVEvwNbeK6I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbpCLqryN-Q
Man up and start playing some Starcraft. LOL
Seriously, after playing RTS games 8+ hours a day for 10 years (Yes, I'm Korean...), whatever clicking you do in ProTools is nothing.

Out of curiosity, what kind of mouse do you use and what grip do you use? You may benefit from just switching the type of mouse or type of grip you're using.
http://www.razerzone.com/mouseguide/ergonomic/advantage
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

I go between a mouse and WACOM drawing tablet..you can control everything with it..taps and double taps with the pen / stylus are clicks etc..

You can do everything a mouse can do with it..Im very used to the Wacom because I use it for my primary gig. Luckily, Im a lefty who cannot "mouse" with my left hand..I mouse with right and use the Wacom with my left (drawing and writing hand) so I give one hand a break regularly..try it though, it really helps.

Pus, I take a lot of breaks and stretch..You have to rest your eyes, ass, hands and back..frequently.
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
Dunno why all the trackball suggestions. For clicking, you have to click on it too ... just like a mouse. But for navigation (not to solve your clicking problem), trackballs are pretty cool.
I disagree. Clicking with the kensington i referenced above is totally different from a traditional mouse - using primarily your thumb, not finger.

Yes the navigating with the ball is very different, and scrolling with the 'ring' i also prefer.

Faster, more accurate, and way more comfortable. But YMMV . . .
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jin View Post
IM.Losira's crazy hands - YouTube
Korean Gamers: APM Demonstration - YouTube
Man up and start playing some Starcraft. LOL
Seriously, after playing RTS games 8+ hours a day for 10 years (Yes, I'm Korean...), whatever clicking you do in ProTools is nothing.
Quote of the day!!! If you guys start talking about diapers, I'm outta this thread :-)
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Addict

I know exactly how you feel, I used to edit dialog all day and finally my hand just didn't want to move anymore. For me one of those Wacom pen/tablet things did the trick.

Took a while to get the hang of it though.
Coupla' days.
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Head

You've got me interested of this Trackball . Is it easy to move slider with it in the mixer window or is there any limitations at all??..
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim View Post
Is this a joke?
Absolutely not! Try it and see. In Chinese medicine the doctor would say you have a blockage of chi and releasing the blockage will allow the body to return to 'normal'. It sounds new (old) agey but it worked for me.
But get a trackball as well.
Old 18th January 2012
I just got the Evoluent vertical mouse. It will take some getting used to but it feels great. Heard a lot of good things about it.

Sent from my E10i using Gearslutz.com App
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Nut

As someone who has suffered from tendonitus.
My personal experience is this.
Trackball helps, apple new low profile magic mouse also really work for me.

However IF you can change the problem that will help more i.e
Drawing in automation is a bastard even with a trackball.
So record it in with a fader as much as you can and then tweak that then you will greatly relieve yourself of the main problem which is drawing in automation.
Just a thought
Geoff
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Drawing in automation is much easier with a Wacom drawing tablet..especially if you tape a piece of paper over the tablet so you get resistance from the tooth (texture) of the paper. Most people don't realize that the Wacom setup will work for all software..like a mouse and more..switching back and forth from mouse to Wacom is excellent because it totally changes the position of your wrist, plus you use different muscles to operate..trackballs are ok except your hand basically ends up in the same position.
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Maniac

ditto on the trackball... If you mouse with your right hand, the Logitech "trackman" is the best investment I have ever made to relieve repetitive stress pain. I used to have major pain from hours of programming, editing, and graphics work. After I switched I have actually worn out one of these devices, now on my second. No pain for years. They take a few days to get used to.

The corded scroll-wheel version on left (specifically the T-BB18) is discontinued but easily available on ebay etc. The key is the trackball under your thumb in a natural position. It has become so loved in the editing / graphic design world that logitech pretty much discontinued all other models and made that model as a wireless unit (the M570 on the right). Good luck!
Attached Images
Mouse clicking PAIN. Its killing me and killing my hand... Alternatives?-wired.jpeg Mouse clicking PAIN. Its killing me and killing my hand... Alternatives?-wireless.jpeg 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search