The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tannoy Reveal 6D - I need a replacement DAC board
Old 17th January 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Tannoy Reveal 6D - I need a replacement DAC board

Hello all. The DAC board in one of my Tannoy Reveal 6D studio monitors has stopped working. It turns out the circuit boards in the Reveal monitors are not available as spare parts. The service guys are doing component level repairs. To get to the point - does anyone have a working DAC board from an otherwise defunct 6D they'd be willing to let go of?

If I can't get a replacement board the other option is to start replacing the six ICs on the board until I get lucky. Of course the problem could be with one of the other 100 components ...

Any help or clues would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 25th April 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I know it's been a while, I have a pair of 6D's ... One is working, the other one isn't. Are they fixed. Curious to know the outcome, if any.
Old 30th May 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi Maeghan. Sorry for the slow reply.

I did learn more from Tannoy on this. They can't supply the digital converter boards for the 6D monitors - so not easy for me or a repair agent to fix the specific fault. There's always the option of asking the agent to replace the entire electronics module, at about half the cost of a new speaker.

However, Tannoy UK did offer to sell me two new current model studio monitors for the price of the above mentioned electronics module (and I'm guessing that was the price of two modules). But, these monitors do not have digital to analog capability, so can't work from the SPDIF output of my RME RayDAT card. I didn't take up that offer, since it would provide no greater capability than my 6Ds with non functioning DA boards.

Since my post about my Tannoy 6D having a fault with the DA board one of my Tannoy 8Ds failed, this time in the power supply board. So I took the DA board out of that one and slotted it into the 6D. I now have a working pair of 6Ds. I should be able to repair the broken 8D, to use those in analog only mode with an e-drum kit.

I've enjoyed the sound from my Tannoy 6D and 8D monitors and the digital interface has been very handy, but with both pairs failing within a couple of months of each other, when less the 5 years old, hmmm, not too sure I'll be buying Tannoys again! But I guess they did try to help, as best they could. They were good with another tech question I had a few years ago, re the eq response dip switches. I'll keep an open mind.
Old 29th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have a pair of Reveal 6D monitors that begun to cause trouble after 6 years or so.

Fortunately I could fix them. The two issues were:

1) The bloody black goo they use to fix components to the PCB gets conductive with time and temperature. Thanks to the badcaps forum (where I saw the notice) I opened the monitors, cleaned the PCB and voila! working monitors again.

2) One of the monitors developed a fault in the digital/analog switch. Odd, since it had been fixed in the same position for years. Some cleaning spray and exercising it several times solved it. I even had removed the digital board wondering if it was it causing trouble, until I noticed it was the switch.

Tannoy should really have a tough look at their manufacturing practices. In the past it was one of the top class louspeaker manufacturers. Now it will be really hard for me not to look at them as a bunch of idiots using inadequate materials.

Other than that, mixes done on these monitors (together with a Blue Sky Sub8U subwoofer) translate well for me. But those manufacturing failures are unacceptable.
Old 29th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi Borjam. Thanks for posting these suggestions. I'll clean those boards and see if I can get both sets of monitors working properly again.

Thanks. Valden.
Old 30th September 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Repair of Tannoy Reveal 6D or 8D

For reference for other owners of Tannoy Reveal 6D or 8D powered studio monitors, there is a helpful thread on repairing these over on Badcaps.net, here. Copies of schematic drawings for the 6D can be found at post 28 in that thread. Really helpful for getting these nice sounding monitors back into action.

Last edited by Valden; 4th October 2016 at 12:55 AM..
πŸ“ Reply