The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Yamaha DX7 IIFD Program help
Old 12th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Yamaha DX7 IIFD Program help

Hey guys just got my hands on a DX7IIFD .

Put one of the cartridges in and power the thing up.

I doesn't let me play an sounds,

I've been through the manual and found nothing.

The display screen says:

" Voice(TR01) E! Bank 1 FE1-01 ffffffff "
Split E1-01 fffffffffffffffff

It wont let me select anything.

Any idea's? Thanks
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

It's got the E! card installed then I guess.
Maybe find a way to disable E! and then make sure Midi Local is on.
The manual for E! is here
http://www.dx7.nl/downloads/dx7-%20g...andleiding.pdf
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

The last time I saw a message like that the DX battery had died. It sees the voice info on the cart but has no parameter data. Check the battery. I cant remember what the minimum required voltage is - I think 1.7v
If that's the problem you can buy a 2032 battery and battery holder from RadioShack and do the install yourself. It's kind of a pain if the unit has E! because you need to remove a daughter board to get to the main board where the battery is soldered in. Once you install the holder and slide in the battery you need to copy the cart voices to internal memory and then go through all the parameters to reset (volume 100%, key range etc). and save it.
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchas View Post
The last time I saw a message like that the DX battery had died. It sees the voice info on the cart but has no parameter data. Check the battery. I cant remember what the minimum required voltage is - I think 1.7v
If that's the problem you can buy a 2032 battery and battery holder from RadioShack and do the install yourself. It's kind of a pain if the unit has E! because you need to remove a daughter board to get to the main board where the battery is soldered in. Once you install the holder and slide in the battery you need to copy the cart voices to internal memory and then go through all the parameters to reset (volume 100%, key range etc). and save it.

Thanks, I've tried to test the battery. I cant get to the battery test screen.

I press 'Edit '16 '32 at the same time and it takes me to a screen displaying 'Midi'. Is this the right way to test the battery and im just not getting there?

Thanks,

Mic
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Sorry - I can't remember. I know my original DX7 was 'Edit 14' to check battery, but all my DX7 and DX7II documentation is long gone. Here's a nice link with pictures on how to cheaply and easilly replace the battery yourself. You will have an additional daughter board on top of the one shown (the E! board). Gently pull it off the bigger board first. The first 2 DX7's I did I mounted the battery holder right onto the circuit board. On the 3rd DX7II I replaced the battery on I didn't even bother to remove the big board with the battery - carefully cut the leads from the battery where they go into the board and solder some pigtail wires into the solder joints from the back side.

BUT - BEFORE YOU DO THAT!!! Measure the voltage across the battery. Yamaha recommends minimum 2.2 volts but I seem to remember one of mine made it to 1.8v before choking. When you check the voltage take note of which lead is positive and negative and mark the circuit board accordingly so you wire in the new battery correctly.

DX7II Battery Change

Good luck.
Old 13th January 2012
ST.
Gear Addict

I'd like to thank everyone for all the good information in this thread.

My original DX7 battery died a short while ago. I was using it with a sequencer and didn't notice until I looked, but it said something like CHANGEBATTERY!!!!! on the display screen, so I knew exactly what my problem was. I read on a Japanese website that offered advice on what to do and in his/her situation their screen had a bunch of gibberish on it (including a bunch of ffffffff's).

jchas, this weekend will be my first DX7 battery change so I don't know from personal experience, but according to the Japanese websites I saw, reversing the + and - on the battery holder when you connect it to the DX7's board fries it. So I think it's definitely worth double checking your leads. By the way, thanks a lot for that link. I will be referring to it when I change my battery this weekend.

Shubelo, good luck!

PS: It's funny how these kinds of traumatic experiences affect me. I promised my DX7 that when I revive it I'm going to spend more time with it and actually learn how to program a nice sounding voice on it
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks ST.

When my DX7IIFD-E went down I took advantage of the situation. I had collected a few discs and 7 or 8 cartridges over the years - instead of just loading in sound sets, I filled 1 bank with my favorite pianos, another with my favorite strings, another with basses etc. etc.

Even though I had purchased one of the first 100 DX7's - I never did get into the sound creation end of things - just tweaking sounds to my liking. But by having all my favorite sounds stored to banks, I could quickly and easilly find what I was looking for in the studio.

Good luck with your repair too!
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the reply guys.

Im about to go into the studio and try hitting 'Edit 14'

I've been calling friends and searching on the net all day.

Yeah! the IIFD should just tell you when the bat needs changing. But hearing about at person's DX7 displaying random digits may mean it still needs changing.

Thanks.
Old 24th January 2012
ST.
Gear Addict

I was able to change my battery this weekend. I hope nobody minds, but I'd like to post about my experience.

Removing the battery was a challenge. Despite the fact that I had read that it was hard to pry out, it was still harder than I thought it would be. The battery is connected to two places (+ and -). The (-) is unfortunately located underneath the battery. I was able to break the connection with some wire cutters and a very steady hand (as to not destroy its neighboring cap and resistor). I went ahead and took out the metal parts coming from the board which were soldered to the battery and was scared to death at the thought of my lead wires not being able to be soldered back to the board. More on that later.

A quick note on the battery. The battery in mine seemed to have been leaking!! I think that it could be that my DX7 is on most of the time I have my computer booted up. So I would definitely change a dead, or soon to be dead battery as soon as possible to avoid any unnecessary damage.

Installing a new battery was a two part process for me.

Step 1 involved setting up a battery holder (to make future replacements easier). I bought a battery holder for the CR2032 battery. I connected leads to the + and - sides of the holder.

Step 2 involved connecting the holder to the board. I made sure to double check that my + and - were going to the correct spots on the board. Incidentally, I had taken out the metal piece from the + side on the board. I found it difficult to solder to the board and might have risked damaging things considering how long I had my iron in there. I had left the chunk of metal that remained on the - side of the board and soldered my lead to that in seconds.

After that, I put the battery in and fired her up. Everything seems to be fine.

After starting it up, it said "insert cartridge". So I put my master cartridge in and set the sounds to "cartridge" on the DX7 and it worked fine. It didn't seem to work without the cartridge. I hope someone can correct me if I'm mistaken.

The internal sound names consist of black squares and no sound. So I kept my promise and started to learn how to program on it! I'm kind of happy that this all happened. I have to say that you can make some really cool sounds with this thing.

By the way, jchas, that sounds like a great idea. I'm going to be looking for extra carts in the used shops around town. If I can get a good collection going I'd like to categorize them as you have.

PS: I noticed a degradation in sound quality of my DX7. It dawned on me after replacing the battery that maybe the low battery could've been the cause of it. It sounded cleaner to me after I changed the battery. I'll try to check the sound post-new battery this week.

Shubelo, good luck dude!
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

By the time you replace the battery in the 3rd DX7 it will only take you an hour heh

Look at it this way - you won't have to replace that one for over 20 years.
I always thought this: Yamaha DX7 IIFD Program help3,000+ Voices with 2,944 Great Performance Voices YAMAHA DX7IIFD DX7 II DX7IID | eBay
looked like a good deal. Load them in, throw out the ones you know you will never use, and edit the ones you keep to your taste.

I'm glad you got it going. Best of luck with your sound designing...
Old 29th May 2012
Here for the gear

Help!

I have the DX7-IIFD, I actually have two and one of them i just cannot get to work!
When I press performance and select lets say number 10, nothing plays. I have tried reading the manual, trying to store sounds, I just cannot figure out what it is. I know it is connected right since my other dx7iifd works fine with the amp and plays sounds on the cartridge, so I put the cartridge on this one and I still get nothing. My keyboard does have E! grey matter. Here are some pics of the display when I try to play a sound.
Any help will be greatly appreciated, it is soo frustrating for me to not figure this out, I just it is just a simple issue or me just doing something wrong.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Here are the pix of what my synth displays:
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha DX7 IIFD Program help-img_1195.jpg   Yamaha DX7 IIFD Program help-img_1196.jpg   Yamaha DX7 IIFD Program help-img_1199.jpg  
Old 8th March 2013
Here for the gear

I am having the same problem. Did you find a fix? was it the battery?
Old 8th March 2013
Here for the gear

It's got the E! card installed then I guess.
Old 10th March 2013
Here for the gear

just finished changing the battery, a lil while ago. i have no cartridges,, so i will have to find the patches and performances and upload them via midi, or floppy. the pics that nowheregiirl posted are exactly what i have as of now, its a special way of doing it to reset after the battery replacement when you have an E! card..
Old 17th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowheregiirl View Post
I have the DX7-IIFD, I actually have two and one of them i just cannot get to work!
When I press performance and select lets say number 10, nothing plays. I have tried reading the manual, trying to store sounds, I just cannot figure out what it is. I know it is connected right since my other dx7iifd works fine with the amp and plays sounds on the cartridge, so I put the cartridge on this one and I still get nothing. My keyboard does have E! grey matter. Here are some pics of the display when I try to play a sound.
Any help will be greatly appreciated, it is soo frustrating for me to not figure this out, I just it is just a simple issue or me just doing something wrong.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Here are the pix of what my synth displays:
Same here with my DX7 ii D. I will consider to remove the Grey Matter E expansion card. I see that all users that have replaced the battery and have the Grey Matter E card installed have problems to get the synth back to normal operation.
Old 22nd November 2018
Here for the gear

Solution to DX7 IID gray matter E Rom?

Hi, I have seen your post and joined site just because of you- hope you can help me guys! I have same problem with loading patches after changing battery.

How do I get E card to work and load patches?

Which midi program can I use to initiate gray matter E card and load patches on my DX7 IID???
I have original DX7 II rom cartridge but nothing more. Please help!!!
Old 3rd December 2018
Gear Nut

Maybe I can help - I have some files for E cards collected from various sources (I think also from DX yahoo group). Write me your mail address, I will send you everything through some download server - it's lot of MB...

Another solution of your problem - sell me your E! card :-)

All the best!

Daniel Forro
Old 4th May 2019
Here for the gear

Same issues

Hi,

Did any of you managed to solve the problem?
I was so happy to finally install an E! expansion panel on my DX7IIFD, but unfortunately i quickly discovered i had/have the exact same issues as you guys mentioned above. (same weird signs as on the pictures as well)

I opened the synth multiple times and everything is fine, battery is new, etc ..
Really hope someone can help. Many many thanks and have a nice weekend!

Kind regards,

Killian
Old 30th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killianvdb View Post
Hi,

Did any of you managed to solve the problem?
I was so happy to finally install an E! expansion panel on my DX7IIFD, but unfortunately i quickly discovered i had/have the exact same issues as you guys mentioned above. (same weird signs as on the pictures as well)

I opened the synth multiple times and everything is fine, battery is new, etc ..
Really hope someone can help. Many many thanks and have a nice weekend!

Kind regards,

Killian
I have the same issues, i bought that synth yesterday

I don’t have nothing of Grey Matter, to be honest if you have one please send me for discard bank issue.

Well, I've seen several theories about what could be

1: The Gray Matter E! is very unstable, what could be causing that would be a loose cable, badly welding or welding in the IC that is not. In VSM I saw a person who had exactly the same problem but I could not know if that was the solution that Solved the problem of the synthesizer.

2: Bad operating system caused by glitched patches. The guy who sold it to me said he was going to send me 4 cartridges, which did not pack in the shipping company, but he told me he was going to send them today; that will be the first test to see if loading the sounds I can solve the rare characters, however he told me that he had never uncovered it then I also think it is pertinent to change the battery.

3: The guy I found in VSM had exactly the same problem, but I was only posting updates about their fixes which makes it a bit confusing to know exactly what the problem was that caused the synthesizer:

°Will not save presets, preferences

°Show rare characters such as squares, letters and Japanese letters

°Making strange noises. I could take off the expansion card but I really do not know. I have a friend who makes pedals, and arranges instruments, I'll take the synthesizer to see what the problem may be.

There is some way to remove the E! Card? Or the E! Card replaces some component that is necessary to put back of the DX7 IIFD stock?

To be honest, I think it’s only battery, but I have to wait until Monday, I have a friend who make pedals (and it’s Electric Engineer) and he told me to take him the DX7

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search