The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
condenser mic,can break if placed in front of the speakers Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 9th January 2012
Gear Maniac

condenser mic,can break if placed in front of the speakers

Hello
I own a studio project C1 and I rarely use it to record some vocal parts for my house music production.
It's on the shockmount of the microphone stand placed to the side of me (listening point of the monitor speakers).
I usually unplug the cable (to stop the power) but I heard that condenser mic are really sensible, and I was wondering if it could be damaged if remain in front of the listening point of the monitors.

thanks
Old 9th January 2012
Lives for gear
I would imagine that any sound loud enough to harm the mic beside you would have nearly destroyed your eardrums already.
Old 9th January 2012
Gear Maniac

ahahah! cheers for the reply!
sorry for the dumb question, but I would be sure!
Old 9th January 2012
Gear Maniac

No. Some condensers could be damaged if they are used to record loud (particularly in the lows) sources. By this I mean placed inside a kick drum, 1 cm from a bass cab or next to a shotgun. Your microphone will be fine.
Old 9th January 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk23 View Post
Hello
I own a studio project C1 and I rarely use it to record some vocal parts for my house music production.
It's on the shockmount of the microphone stand placed to the side of me (listening point of the monitor speakers).
I usually unplug the cable (to stop the power) but I heard that condenser mic are really sensible, and I was wondering if it could be damaged if remain in front of the listening point of the monitors.

thanks
I presume you mean "sensitive" rather than "sensible" heh

But a good condenser can take a high sound pressure level and is not normally damaged. The worst that can happen is that the diaphragm "bottoms out" and touches the back plate, but as its a plastic material won't actually short out.

It's a ribbon mic. that you have to take care with.
Old 9th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk23 View Post
Hello

thanks
what is the spl spec of teh mike ?
how loud do you crank the speakers

i would think your ears would go bad long before the mike

ribbons are really sensitive
but condensor should not be harmed if you can stand the loudness yourself
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search