The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SM7 vs Heil PR40 Dynamic Microphones
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

SM7 vs Heil PR40

How do these two mics sound compared to each other ? Is the SM7 better for vocals and the PR40 better for instruments ?
Old 7th January 2012
Gear Head

I love the pr40 it's an awesome kick drum mic, if I had to chose between the two the sm7 is a bit more versatile in terms of application. Had great success with it on vox, guitar and bass
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Subjective

All depends on the voice and the instrument. I have both and like both. There is more presence to the PR40, but the SM7B is surely more vesatile as the other poster indicated. If I had to have one, the SM7B. But I purchased the PR40 as an alternative to cover some bases.
Attached Thumbnails
SM7 vs Heil PR40-sm7b-vs-pr40.jpg  
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs View Post
All depends on the voice and the instrument. I have both and like both. There is more presence to the PR40, but the SM7B is surely more vesatile as the other poster indicated. If I had to have one, the SM7B. But I purchased the PR40 as an alternative to cover some bases.
Looks like the PR40 is brighter than an SM7 . Very cool . Everything I read about the PR40 says its a great mic . And its not expensive which is also very nice . I love dynamic mics .
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
Looks like the PR40 is brighter than an SM7 . Very cool . Everything I read about the PR40 says its a great mic . And its not expensive which is also very nice . I love dynamic mics .
Check Front End Audio. Just bought my second one from there. They seem to have the the better price on them.
Old 8th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
How do these two mics sound compared to each other ? Is the SM7 better for vocals and the PR40 better for instruments ?
I've heard some folks say that the PR40 has a condenser-like quality sheen to it. Is this something others on here have thought?
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMountain View Post
I've heard some folks say that the PR40 has a condenser-like quality sheen to it. Is this something others on here have thought?
Somewhat similar I guess. But I've never personally A/B'd and paid close attention in comparison with any of my LDC's. I was more concerned with how it performed in relation to my SM7B and 421's which, I think it's pretty close to a 421 myself, and at $100 bucks less.
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

you can listen to them both here.. i love my PR40 on kick, el gtr cab, and lots of other things!

VO Mic Tests
Old 8th January 2012
Gear Addict

i love my PR40...

but not so much for vox.
Old 8th January 2012
Jai guru deva om

You can hear both the Heil PR40 and the SM7B, along with dozens of other mics in our Clipalator. Their delivery differences are easily heard.

Don't forget, the SM7B has EQ switches on board though that can help to make it more useful on more things.

War
Old 8th January 2012
Gear Maniac

I have used both. I own two Heil PR40's. I love them on Toms, Kick, Bass Cabs, Vocals, Voice Over.
I feel the PR40 may be a bit smoother then the Shure sm7.
Never did a direct A/B test though.
Both are awesome.
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I find the SM7 more usable for vocals. The PR40 is an great kick mic and more of an all rounder. Great on bass and guitar cabs, good on acoustic instruments. The SM7 is my 3rd choice for bass after the M88 or PR40, I never use it on guitar cabs or acoustics. I keep the SM7 mostly for a vocal alternative.

My only bitch about the PR40 is not being able to find a standard (not shock) mount for it. What's up with that?
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

The PR30 is better than the PR40 but I would rather have an SM7B. I got rid of my PR40 quite some time ago.
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
You can hear both the Heil PR40 and the SM7B, along with dozens of other mics in our Clipalator. Their delivery differences are easily heard.

Don't forget, the SM7B has EQ switches on board though that can help to make it more useful on more things.

War
Clipalator rules !

I downloaded a bunch of files and the Mic that stood out to me is the Beyerdynamic M201 . Wow that mic sounds good .
Old 9th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Clipalator rules !

I downloaded a bunch of files and the Mic that stood out to me is the Beyerdynamic M201 . Wow that mic sounds good .

Good to see War back up here posting. I learned much reading his comments here and have purchased a few mics and my Auteur from him as well. He will do his utmost to answer your questions and give his advice if asked. He knows a lot, but be careful, he'll turn ya into a java junky if you're not one.
Old 9th January 2012
Jai guru deva om

I know I've been a bit absent lately from here! Everything from crazy holiday busy stuff, sales growing above and beyond my own expectations, and then deciding it was time to make computer and accounting system changes all at the same time. Crazy!

I'll be back in swing soon and stop hiding out...thanks for the kind words too.

I agree, the M201 is a stand out too.

War
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Fantastic on harmon-muted trumpet!!!!! But, you have to EQ a bit of low end going in......I ditched my Beyer M260, 57 & 58s and all my cheapo ribbons for the PR40 for the above application!!!!heh
Old 23rd February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude G. View Post
Fantastic on harmon-muted trumpet!!!!! But, you have to EQ a bit of low end going in......I ditched my Beyer M260, 57 & 58s and all my cheapo ribbons for the PR40 for the above application!!!!heh
Used PR40 on muted trumpet yesterday ,lovely ,clear and detailed. Used it on voice as well. Cut 4k a bit for an intimate ,articulate vocal.
Old 19th May 2012
Lives for gear

My SM7b made my Heil PR30 sound like a toy when it came to lead vocals. The PR30 was a huge disappointment for me: thin, spitty and bright compared to the smooth, warm, full sound of my SM7b. Of all of the mics I've been through over the last year, I keep coming back to the SM7b for vocals. The PR30 sounded worse on lead vocals than some of my cheap Chinese condensers, IMHO. Mine sounded so bad, I have to wonder if the damn thing was broken.
Old 31st May 2012
Lives for gear

I have a Heil PR40. I use it pretty exclusively on BD but did record a vocal with it a few weeks ago which came out sounding very 'live' and exciting. Not a purist mic for vocals but certainly can be useful. Always found the sm7 to be a bit pinched sounding. I wouldn't ever describe it as a fat sound, more compressed/focussed

Steve

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search