The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do I need to increase quality!!
Old 5th January 2012
Here for the gear

What do I need to increase quality!!

My chain is currently blue bluebird into mbox 2 PRO. Currently no monitors or acoustic treatment. However this room isn't bad. I have about 400 to spend. I mix on surround sound logitech speakers but cost like 600. There highest model. They work ok. Should i buy a se reflection filter or monitors? Looking to give me the highest upgrade in quality.
Old 5th January 2012
I suggest not to buy a thing until you know yourself what and why you need something. If you can't learn to use your ears nd trust your own judgement you are in the wrong game.

Totally depends on what style and taste in music you have, and what technical problems you need to solve first.

What don't you like about what you are creating now?

With only $400 you can't afford to buy stuff randomly.

Microphone might give biggest upgrade in quality for all I know ... Post a clip?
Old 5th January 2012
I'd add broadband absorption & maybe a pair of Sony Headphones With the headphones you can keep the room out while EQ'ing/mixing & you can use your hi fi system to balance levels as best you can since you already know the system.

This is just a suggestion to work with your budget. Obviously you need a lot more but this should get you started.
Old 5th January 2012
nas
Lives for gear

How does your work sound in other environments and on other systems? translate well? If your mixes are "off" then perhaps the best thing is to improve your monitoring space and monitors... (with the understanding that better equipment and room acoustics will only get you so far... the rest is up to you).
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Time + Experience + Feel + Gear= Quality.

Time: You keep fixing/mixing it till it's right.
Experience: Years of failure and learning your craft.
Feel: Developing your musical center.
Gear: Get the best gear you can afford.

400 isn't quite enough to do everything with quality imho. You'll need more like round 4000-40,000.

There's much to acquire: and it takes years.

Mics, Mic Pre's, Instruments (VSTi's, samples etc), speakers, the list goes on...

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPrayz4GOD View Post
My chain is currently blue bluebird into mbox 2 PRO. Currently no monitors or acoustic treatment. However this room isn't bad. I have about 400 to spend. I mix on surround sound logitech speakers but cost like 600. There highest model. They work ok. Should i buy a se reflection filter or monitors? Looking to give me the highest upgrade in quality.
you need
education training experience skill and judgement
when you have that down
you will know whetehr you really need more gear
and until you do
just buying random gear will not improve anything
but will lighten your wallet

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search