The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Survey On Digital vs Analog. Would really appreciate the answers.
Old 5th January 2012
Here for the gear

Survey On Digital vs Analog. Would really appreciate the answers.

It's for a little research project I'm doing and I thought here at gear sluts would be a good place took ask. I didn't try to find a better section but couldn't.

Don't think in terms of hardware but more in how you listen to your music.

Has digital taken over analog Survey

any responses are hugely appreciated.
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Due to the massive increase in outsiders doing surveys for school projects here, I now charge $99.95 if you'd like me to participate. Paypal accepted.
Old 5th January 2012
It's like going to the prom and seeing someone else in your dress -- this is currently a handful of posts away from yours in the So Much Gear forum:

Survey about analog equimpent vs. digital emulations and plug ins

And there was another, similar one in the Music Computers forum earlier, too.

We actually have a lot of sympathy for you (well, I can't really speak for anyone else but I feel certain I'm not alone) and your future colleagues (keep that Plan B warm, guys) -- but I have to say that the number of college and uni media/recording instructors who seem to be sending students to forums like this one to perform "surveys" that are fundamentally compromised by the self-selected nature of the respondent base is really distressing.
Old 5th January 2012
Give's them a taste of real world experience ... Contant rejection and humiliation ...

In my day, students with no will to work got degrees in psychology or something equally useless. At least recording school is more fun while it lasts. Both will qualify perfectly well for a career in hamburger wrapping.

Tough crowd, eh?
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Why do you guys waste your time with these surveys.
Everybody knows analog is better.heh
Old 5th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
Why do you guys waste your time with these surveys.
Everybody knows analog is better.heh
Digital is completely inaudible to human ears anyway ... You'll have to ask the machine what they prefer.
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Not to mention that digital is evil,have you not seen terminator.
It will follow you home,eat your parents and take over your minds.
Go analog while you still can.
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayala View Post
It's for a little research project I'm doing and I thought here at gear sluts would be a good place took ask. I didn't try to find a better section but couldn't.

digital HAS blown analog away
like TV to AM radio
not quite computers to sliderules
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I have to say that the number of college and uni media/recording instructors who seem to be sending students to forums like this one to perform "surveys" that are fundamentally compromised by the self-selected nature of the respondent base is really distressing.
I can certainly see why things might seem that way. I'm not sure about this one but the other analogue vs. digital survey was posted by one of my peers on my course at university.

I very much doubt that those creating the surveys for university level work are only asking for responses here or from other likeminded audio folk. I think most people realise the importance of gathering responses from a range of different people. Gearslutz is just a good (read easy) way to draw a big number of responses from one particular demographic group - well...on the face of it anyway.

If somebody were to base their entire project on this "research" and only gather replies from a single source there's a very high chance they would fail the project.
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post

I've read the suggestion that such volunteer polling, when augmented by follow-up, more in-depth comments, can provide focus group-like insights into the thinking behind certain positions and beliefs -- so, even if one can't reasonably approach the numbers as representative, individual answers can become helpful in understanding the rationales and attitudes of different sub-groups.
Also I saw this in the other thread and wanted to say a massive +1
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

I like the convenience of digital, and the overall effect, both tonally and dynamic-wise, of analog. As for listening, I only listen to analog recorded records, as it turns out.
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayala View Post

Only records where I live. Digital sucks balls.
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

To the OP - I tend to listen to most music from my computer these days. I tend to buy downloads from the iTunes store. I haven't been able to perceive a lack in quality at 256kbps AAC over WAV. It would probably have to be some crazy ultra-transient, sine sweeping, constantly panning horror show for me to hear anything, and even then I'm not sure I could...

That said I still occasionally buy vinyl. I love the process of putting a vinyl on, the pops and crackles, reading the lyrics in a big booklet while you listen to the songs. I wish more people listened to albums like that these days.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search