The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help me pick pair of preamps or other ITB antidote
Old 9th January 2012
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo Soul View Post
Actually, got it narrowed down to Pacifica, Vintech, Portico, Aurora, and Germanium. Reading up all I can.
Stop doing that!!! All you'll do is get a headache and be even more confused than you were when you started this search. Call who you need to call and get the units into your room to audition... takes WAY less time than reading the various [and generally highly skewed] opinions of these things... AND give you a concrete base from which to make your own evaluations.

Quote:
Also reading up on MP2NV. A bit confused by the patch points. Is there anything like this that lets you just run line level through for the electronics as well?
The patch point sits between the output of the input amplifier and the input of the output amplifier... it allows you to patch an equalizer, or compressor, or both between the input and output amps.

It also allows you to employ the input amplifier of the MP-2NV [along with the input transformer of the MP-2NV] and should you so choose, use the output amplifier of the unit you have patched into the "input amp output" that hangs on the patch point.

For example - the Great River EQ-2NV has a transformerless output [that has sick headroom... I don't remember the exact number, but I think its up like +32dBu]... if you hang the EQ-2NV on the patchpoint of the MP-2NV you have the following options:

1) Mic into MP-2NV - EQ -- choice of transformer based [MP-2NV] output or transformer less [EQ-2NV]... they sound different and are easy to "A/B"

2) Line into MP-2NV [5db of gain] or line into EQ-2NV [different input transformer than the MP-2NV... more "bite"] and similar choice of transformer or transformerless output [total of 4 options... no waiting].

You can also hang a compressor off the patch point [or several things in a chain] and still have the option of the output of the MP-2NV or the piece of kit you hung off the patch point.

Highly convenient feature if you're trying to hone your tone in a hurry.

Peace
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Stop doing that!!! All you'll do is get a headache and be even more confused than you were when you started this search. Call who you need to call and get the units into your room to audition... takes WAY less time than reading the various [and generally highly skewed] opinions of these things... AND give you a concrete base from which to make your own evaluations.

The patch point sits between the output of the input amplifier and the input of the output amplifier... it allows you to patch an equalizer, or compressor, or both between the input and output amps.

It also allows you to employ the input amplifier of the MP-2NV [along with the input transformer of the MP-2NV] and should you so choose, use the output amplifier of the unit you have patched into the "input amp output" that hangs on the patch point.

For example - the Great River EQ-2NV has a transformerless output [that has sick headroom... I don't remember the exact number, but I think its up like +32dBu]... if you hang the EQ-2NV on the patchpoint of the MP-2NV you have the following options:

1) Mic into MP-2NV - EQ -- choice of transformer based [MP-2NV] output or transformer less [EQ-2NV]... they sound different and are easy to "A/B"

2) Line into MP-2NV [5db of gain] or line into EQ-2NV [different input transformer than the MP-2NV... more "bite"] and similar choice of transformer or transformerless output [total of 4 options... no waiting].

You can also hang a compressor off the patch point [or several things in a chain] and still have the option of the output of the MP-2NV or the piece of kit you hung off the patch point.

Highly convenient feature if you're trying to hone your tone in a hurry.

Peace
I have auditioned a couple of things, and will be sending files off tomorrow for processing as I've been working a lot lately.

I had a friend bring by his mini massive, and kultube. I've also run a couple things through a diy set of 1073s which sounded good, but a bit too dirty and a bit too noisy for a whole mix.

I don't have the cash to try out too many things, but have it generally zeroed in on something warm and flexible... like a gymnast.

Plenty of ma5s to be had, and deals galore on lunchboxes... just looking around to see if I can get some more features... like line in, basic metering, etc.

So... if I understand the above post correctly... the patch points on mp can be used to bring line level signal in, then run through the output transformer? That's the sort of flexability I'm looking for... did I read that right? Realistically, I don't want to dirty up every track. I may realistically just want to run through a transformer sometimes... like I sometimes just run through the output tube gain on my G10 with the compressor disengaged.

What other pieces am I overlooking that have some built in flexability?
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

I'd go pacifica if it had inserts and some metering. Tempted to go MP2nv for those reasons alone.

Looked into Mike E. Too much money for two channels if the comps aren't the end all for at least one duty like tracking. What I can dig up is more like... oh... and it also has a compressor.

Am I missing anything with that one?

Am I missing other options that include line level just to run through the electronics without major amplification?
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear
i just picked up a 19" xpressor and the dry/wet function really helps out itb mixes (edm). easy to use and transparent

can't give my 2 cent on the other gear cause i never tried it..
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonance5 View Post
i just picked up a 19" xpressor and the dry/wet function really helps out itb mixes (edm). easy to use and transparent

can't give my 2 cent on the other gear cause i never tried it..

Yeah... I'd ideally be interested in something like that too, but as I look at where to spread the cash, I end up thinking that while The Glue is not identical to some of the better VCA options for mixbuss duties, that it may be close enough that the money is better spent on preamps and comps used for individual tracks.

Got the varimu thing covered, so another comp at this point would likely be more la2a style... or possibly 1176 as I end up wanting to limit things quite a bit but would like to use as little brickwall as possible... so thinking about doing more upon tracking.
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear
agree, if you work a lot with microphones tracking is important.

i just heard the track you posted, nice. i think you should go for a compressor... for transients and color you might easily do it itb.

a nice solution imo would be a summing box with lots of mojo slightly driven paired with a compressor, but that's definetly out of budget...

i noticed while listening the track was going through the xpressor, so i recorded it. you guess where i bypassed it...

can i ask you what you use for m\s effects?
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonance5 View Post
agree, if you work a lot with microphones tracking is important.

i just heard the track you posted, nice. i think you should go for a compressor... for transients and color you might easily do it itb.

a nice solution imo would be a summing box with lots of mojo slightly driven paired with a compressor, but that's definetly out of budget...

i noticed while listening the track was going through the xpressor, so i recorded it. you guess where i bypassed it...

can i ask you what you use for m\s effects?
On laptop at the moment.

I forgot that was still in my siggy. I've fixed a few mix issues and mastered it since... I guess I should change that.

Not doing anything for m/s. I've made a conscious decision to do mixes that are very nearly mono. Only thing that's not is voices split wide for effect, and the occasional guitar double, or synth effect with panning built in.

In light of that, processing the mix with ms techniques seems to be overkill.

Actually, now that I think about it, though... I think I may have run that mix through brainworx control with stereo set to 110pct to see if I could overcome some of the narrrowing the compression was doing.

The processing soundcloud does is really screwing with the audio for some reason too... much more than my mp3 encoding does. There's some weird noises that sound like mic rumble around 34sec, for instance, that are definitely NOT in the source file.

Also, it's softened things up to the point that it sounds to me like it's being played through a pillow. Odd. I get much better sound quality from just burning a decent mp3 than I do from posting a wav on soundcloud.
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:

I forgot that was still in my siggy. I've fixed a few mix issues and mastered it since... I guess I should change that.

Not doing anything for m/s. I've made a conscious decision to do mixes that are very nearly mono. Only thing that's not is voices split wide for effect, and the occasional guitar double, or synth effect with panning built in.

In light of that, processing the mix with ms techniques seems to be overkill.

ah ok, and its true about soundcloud... anyways the download is enabled

m\s can make some cool effects in the mix, voxengo offers a free plug in i'm still deciding if its ok, but at themoments seems yes. applied on sends it's interesting.
Old 17th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo Soul
...So, still looking.

2 channels
Mic pre in the warm family
Line in
DI
Natural compression
Slow transients
Transformers...
People will likely talk trash, but it sounds to me that you're describing that you'd like a UA 2-610. I like it for the reasons you've mentioned wanting something for.

It makes the low frequencies full and have weight. The mid range is very appealingly presented, no harshness. There is EQ, gentle EQ that goes a long way. You get two channels, the gain design allows for natural compression and it does relax the transient detail a bit. It's a really nice, dimensional, rich sound despite what some haters might say. Also it has the inputs you need. If I were in your position I'd give it an audition.
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Actually, I had the opportunity to try out the mono mkII version recently, and was quite taken with it.

I didn't get the chance to run bass through it, but I did track some vocals, and it was VERY good.

That being said, I'm not sure how well the compression characteristics would mesh with some other sources (how it would do thickening keys, synths, drums, etc)... and unless I'm mistaken, it lacks some flexability in the routing department.

I'll take another look, but I seem to remember not being able to fully separate the components basically.

Also, I wasn't tracking MY vocals... which tend to be very staccato... and rapped sometimes. Because my rapid fire style, relatively poor dynamic control, lack of sustain, etc... I'm beginning to think I might be better off with something more like an 1176 even for the vocal tracking part. Singer I used it on was female with smooth, slow style that fit the piece perfectly.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
I think you'd do well with the Blacklion AM-CHA1 Stereo Transformer balanced EQ. Gapped transformers on input and output. Lots of color and mojo. I'm able to give tracks a real vibe with it. If you wanna send a stereo track my way, I'll run the track through it so you can hear the difference. It won't be subtle, I can tell you that.
I've tried a 3 times over the past few days, and I'm having some sort of issue with my uploads. ISP issue, it looks like.

Seems like it's finally going through, although taking quite a while. Anyway, I'm sending a sample of another track (pre-mastered version with full dynamics). Tried to find something dynamic, yet with hard hitting drums, wide spectrum, and lots of changes. Space between the notes, electronic drums, a bit of jazz... this should be a good full bodied test.

Assuming it goes through, feel free to post results on here. If it's too subtle to hear differences in 320 mp3, it's likely too subtle for my tastes anyway.

thx.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've tried a 3 times over the past few days, and I'm having some sort of issue with my uploads. ISP issue, it looks like.

Seems like it's finally going through, although taking quite a while. Anyway, I'm sending a sample of another track (pre-mastered version with full dynamics). Tried to find something dynamic, yet with hard hitting drums, wide spectrum, and lots of changes. Space between the notes, electronic drums, a bit of jazz... this should be a good full bodied test.

Assuming it goes through, feel free to post results on here. If it's too subtle to hear differences in 320 mp3, it's likely too subtle for my tastes anyway.

thx.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.
Old 25th February 2012
Gear Head

What's the status? I'm interested in what you ended up with, myself looking for something to give my ITB mixes some colour. I come to the conclusion that "natural" compression, like with tubes, is what is needed (and the included slight distortion). So I've been running tracks through an ampeg v4bh head (and a palmer PDI-03 DI), with pretty good results. But, it's quite an expensive piece of gear, that I don't really need for bass anymore.

So I was thinking GAP pre73 that everyone raves about, but the question is, does it compress the signal? Does transformers work that way, similar to tubes, or would I have to get a compressor as a compliment? Maybe better to go for UA610, but it a little bit more expensive.
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

You should seriously be looking at the Tk Audio DP1!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search