The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do I output a stereo out into my mixers mono in?
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

How do I output a stereo out into my mixers mono in?

Hi,

I have a 16 track mixer. Channels are always about to run out and its always a problem.

Ive recently wondered.... I have a Juno 6, Kaoss Pad 3 and MPC master outs all using up 6 mono channels on my mixer.

I only ever record in mono at the writing phase where I only use hardware. Stereo spreads get added later at the ITB phase so I only need Mono outs from my KP3, MPC and Juno, stereo being unnecessary at this point in how I work.

Is there any way I could plug the L and R cables from my MPC into some sort of plug or cable that mux's the stero to mono without problems?

The Juno I worry about as it has a cool stereo chorus, and if I force it into mono (if that's possible) I worry I may ruin the chorus that is a stereo effect. (However my Boss CE2 is only a mono pedal, so im baffled by how a chorus is a stereo effect??)

Any help appreciated. Id love to free up 3 channels on my mixer.
Old 4th January 2012
Gear Guru

^^^ Either use only the left or right output, or sum the two channels together through a pair of 10K resistors. This is a very simple DIY project.

--Ethan
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
^^^ Either use only the left or right output, or sum the two channels together through a pair of 10K resistors. This is a very simple DIY project.

--Ethan
doesnt it depend on how the stereo was recorded originally?

some stereo miking methods are mono compatible
some less so
others very little
Old 28th January 2012
Lives for gear

Can I not just use a 2 into one plug thingy

Like this

http://images.maplin.co.uk/full/jm91y.jpg

or

http://www.pyleaudio.com/1000/PCBL43FT3.jpg

Of course with 1/4 inch jacks but same principle, or will this not work?

Will the chorus on my Juno sound crap being forced into mono? Or will it have no effect?
Old 28th January 2012
Here for the gear

I would second the idea of JUST using the left or right output on the Juno.

A stereo effect is a STEREO effect, and would not make much sense in mono anyways, not to mention that summing a chorused (or other stereo affected) source down to mono will inevitably lead to SOME degree of phasing issues.

As far as the MPC, if you just have your dry drum sounds/samples that are panned here and there, you could sum those together and get mono drums perfectly okay. I mean the samples themselves are exactly the same from both the L and the R output (save for volume differences due to panning), so phase cancelation wouldn't really be a worry there.

But bottom line, if you can just use mono outputs, you won't be losing out on anything that you would by summing to mono, and you won't have to worry about phase issues and cancellation.
Old 1st February 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks man.

Think with that then I'll sum my mpc and keep Juno as stereo.

Let's face it. A Juno without its chorus is like a wasp without a sting.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search