The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gain staging a Lunchbox / Like to lose 12dB
Old 4th January 2012
Gear Addict
Gain staging a Lunchbox / Like to lose 12dB

Hi there,

my pair of 527s like their levels hot (my pair of germainum compressors likes to deliver that high gain) but my converters do not.
there is a new xpressor 500 before the converter now to use just one gain knob for stereo tracks, which is fine, but it doesnt attenuate at all

so i would like to drop the hot gain at least 12dB (maybe even 20dB) between the APIs and the elysia...

what device will reduce a stereo pair of LINE level about 12-20dB without losing quality..?

should i solder a simple two resistor padby myself? would that kill highs or something...?

thanks for enlightment
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.staettler View Post
Hi there,

my pair of 527s like their levels hot (my pair of germainum compressors likes to deliver that high gain) but my converters do not.
there is a new xpressor 500 before the converter now to use just one gain knob for stereo tracks, which is fine, but it doesnt attenuate at all

so i would like to drop the hot gain at least 12dB (maybe even 20dB) between the APIs and the elysia...

what device will reduce a stereo pair of LINE level about 12-20dB without losing quality..?

should i solder a simple two resistor padby myself? would that kill highs or something...?

thanks for enlightment
definitely something

should be able to find a pad online
may need adapters to match your connectors
Old 4th January 2012
member no 666

Shure "A15AS" inline attenuators... easily configurable for a consistent 15 [or 20 or 25] db level drop... other options and loads of other uses... and rather inexpensive to boot [well, not as inexpensive as soldiering some resistors together... but certainly less time consuming and in a previously configured package].

Peace

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search