The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommend equipment for on-location recording?
Old 4th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Recommend equipment for on-location recording?

I plan to use my lunchbox which has a pre with 48v pantom power, an eq and compressor modules in it. That will be my front end which will feed my laptop with a Duet and running Logic as my DAW. I have a few mics I can bring along.

I am trying to figure out the best way of powering this rig up and to record for atleast 2-4hrs or more on location where no power or a car may not be available. My concern is powering the lunchbox.

What options do I have?

The lighter the setup, the better.
Old 4th January 2012
Just take the Duet. Why make life hard for yourself. If you want to take truely mobile hardware I would forget 500 series and get something like the Rupert Neve Portico stuff that can run off a 12 volt battery. A *large* 12 volt battery - but possible.

The last thing you want to do is frigg around with DC to AC inverters - but that is an option if you persist with the lunchbox.

Just take the Duet.
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear
You did not mention budget or the number of channels you need, which are pretty important factors.

That being said, if it is in your budget I would look into one of the offerings from Sound Devices or something similar. Far better than lugging around a 12 volt battery.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search