The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AMS tape phase simulator - balanced or unbalanced?
Old 3rd January 2012
Gear Nut

AMS tape phase simulator - balanced or unbalanced?

Hi there, first post.

15 years ago I used to own an AMS tape phase simulator, and the person I bought it from said it had unbalanced XLR connections, and soldered cables for me to use with the unit. Later it went bust and I sold it along with the cables.

I recently got hold of another, and was wondering if anyone knows if the connectors are wired as balanced or unbalanced? If they're unbalanced, how should I wire them? There's hardly any info on the unit anywhere.

I do have the original user manual, but it only says "XLR connectors", no info on the wiring..

Any help is appreciated.
Old 10th January 2012
Gear Nut

For future reference, I'm answering my own question:

I opened the AMS and found that the XLR connectors are actually soldered unbalanced. Two of the pins are soldered to ground. When comparing the the input and the outputs, the layout (signal pin - ground pins) seems to be mirrored.

It's produced in '84, my previous one was a '77 unit, which implies that this layout was kept during the tape phase simulator's lifetime.

Awesome sounding unit btw!
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

Most ADR stuff was available with optional transformers for balanced operation..at least the complex and earlier compressors were, so perhaps this helps explain the XLRs

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search