The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sum 2 mics to 1 track - Rolls vs. BAE
Old 29th December 2011
Lives for gear

Sum 2 mics to 1 track - Rolls vs. BAE

I want to blend 2 mics to 1 track during tracking (for guitar and bass cabinets). Since I am going to 8 track tape, to save tracks I need to blend at the tracking stage.

I have 4 BAE 1073s so I was thinking the BAE line mixer would be a good solution, however at $490 I am not sure why I would spend that kind of money when it seems like I can get a Rolls line mixer for $40

Line Mixer

vs.

Rolls MS20b Mic Splitter/Combiner/Isolator | ActiveMusician

What's the benefit of the BAE version (besides having 4 inputs to 2 outs)?

I will most likely be blending 2 of the BAE 1073s, or a single 1073 + w/ a Chandler Germanium Preamp.
Old 30th December 2011
Lives for gear

I am about to try this, I have some API pre's with two outs per channel so I can split the signal, recording two tracks at same take. Wish my Neves were like this, might be a way since mine have mults on the front too. I have used two mics and liked how that worked......
Old 2nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Bump. Anyone know the difference/benefit of the 10x more expensive BAE line mixer vs the Rolls?
Old 2nd January 2012
Lives for gear
Summing is one of those black magic electronics things. There's certainly an issue of color (do the opamps or transformers used color the signal), gain makeup/balancing, introduction of noise, tolerance for hot signals etc. And one assumes the BAE is engineered to a higher standard than the Rolls (since they mention isolation, one has to assume at least a few transformers in there to prevent ground loops which will bump the cost a lot). That said, what do you lose by spending $40 on the Rolls and seeing if you like the sound?
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Turns out BAE doesn't make those line mixers anymore. Any other options?

I also have a Trident Fleximix console I could use to route different pres/mics to one subgroup, and use the direct outs to tape, however I am looking for a more portable solution as I am doing some location recording, and the Fleximix is a bit large to bring around just for summing. However, I'll do it if it will sound better than the Rolls.
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

I use the BAE all the time.

I use the BAE mixer quite a lot.
Mostly to sum Kick mic's in and out to one track, and snare top & bottom also to one track.

Basically I take the output of my pre amps, two for Kick, & 2 for Snare and wire their outputs to the BAE Line Mixer.
Pre's are either Daking 52270 or Helios type 69's. I EQ if needed, adjust the phase, then use their respective output level controls to get the mix (blend) I want.
The summed output of the Line Mixer to tape, digital, whatever.

Can't get much easier, and the unit sounds great!
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Since BAE no loner makes the line mixer, what are my other options besides the rolls?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search