The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Set Up Help Please. I could use some reassurance Ive researched corectly Audio Interfaces
Old 28th December 2011
Studio Set Up Help Please. I could use some reassurance Ive researched corectly

Hey everyone. New here. Clearly. Im about to get some recording gear and ive been researching thee hell out of it. I have tile floors and big rooms so the sound is less than ideal and the rooms arent treated. Im thinking about a Shure SM7 to a fethead to a Samson C-valve tube pre (already have one laying around) I was wondering if im still going to need an audio interface or if its ok to plug right into my mic jack? If i do does anyone have a good recommendation for an interface that plays well with the i7 2600 chipset? Im on a budget here so be gentle. I was thinking an Alesis MulitMix 8 USB 2.0 mixer.

Im not entirely new to recording but i am new to getting this far in depth with it. We started and continue to this day on LDC mics going into a mixer then into the line in jack. Id like to one up that

I was also thinking of building a portabooth for myself something like this.

RealTraps Portable Vocal Booth | Dave Courvoisier's Blog

Do you think this will be sufficient to have decent quality recordings? Right now i have a bluebird BLUE mic but ive read that its less than ideal for the room ill be recording in as the LDC mics pick up EVERYTHING. I believe im on the right path here, ive done a lot of research im just looking for some kind of reinforcement before i make my purchases.

Im also considering the samson a8 monitors. They sounded pretty good in the store and i like to have good bass response. HAs anyone heard good/bad about these my other option is Rokit 6's but i dont want to loose the bass as its pretty crucial to hip hop.

Heres a track we did so you can hear our voices. I know that makes a difference. Quality isnt great on this at all i uploaded the wrong version but you get the picture.

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help.

FUTURE- FLA ALL DAY - YouTube
Old 28th December 2011
Gear Head

With regards to your interface options, I wouldnt recommend going into your computers on-board mic input. You should consider purchasing a usb or firewire interface. How many inputs do you think you need simultaneously?
Old 28th December 2011
One input is fine for now. Im only recording my vocals. The Alesis Multimix 8 is USB thats why i was considering it. Plus eventually ill be able to plug in turntables keyboards and whatever else
Old 28th December 2011
Gear Addict
yes you will need an interface. You can do a search on those. A lot of threads
covering interfaces. I would not buy the Alesis.

About the "vocal booth" you can go with a solution like the one you mentioned
or the reflection filter by SE Electronics.
I have four some portable absorbers, with 100mm rockwoll.
With them i get recordings with very little room in them.

You should also have something behind the singer, absorbing sound waves
that would after reflecting of the wall behind the singer get picked up by the
mic. A thick blanket hanged over a door is probably good enough.
Many will also tell you to treat your room where you mix. You can read more about
this in the sub-forum about acoustics.

The SM7b is a good choice. Go with it.
Old 28th December 2011
I searched a bunch of threads and a lot of options are out there. Any ideas for under $200. Im using Acid Pro 6.0 if that helps.

What about this?
http://tampa.***************/hil/msg/2736368760.html

Good call on something behind me as well. Im def going to need that the rooms are bright as hell.

What about the Fethead and samson C-valve?

Thanks again everyone
Old 28th December 2011
[QUOTE=MasterCrab;7374769]yes you will need an interface. You can do a I have four some portable absorbers, with 100mm rockwoll.
With them i get recordings with very little room in them.

What do you mean by this?
Old 28th December 2011
Gear Addict
Focusrite have good interfaces. The Saffire Pro 24 DSP is in your price range.

With a decent interface you won't need the fethead. I have no experience
about the samson, but if you buy a decent interface it will have decent preamps,
so you won't need it. It's worth a try, though.. If you already have one.

The panels i have built are something like these:
http://www.markwolfram.com/FinishedGobos.jpg

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search