The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to manually replace drum sounds in PT.
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

How to manually replace drum sounds in PT.

I was just curious how you guys replace drum sounds in PT manually. Techniques and such are great to discuss here.

My approach is to have the actual drum sounds at the end of a session (ie. just kick, just snare, ect.....). I will copy the sound right on the peak of the transient then tab to transient and past. After that it's just a little work to fade everything back. I hope that makes sense.

Let me know what you guys like to do! Peace
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

If I did it manually I'd set up tracks below each of my drum tracks, zoom in and match the samples on the new track to the transients of the current recordings, that's just me. Personally a drum replacing application is much more time efficient, obviously.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Gearslutz.com
Old 24th December 2011
Gear Head

I used to do this ALL of the time before I could afford a sound replacer and before I could get a good snare or kick sound, def a life saver in a pinch haha.

First off I used Beat Detective (command 8) to find every transient, you don't really want to find the peaks, but the start of them. This is to ensure that you line up the replaced or added sample to the correct position (most of mine were drums). After you have 'broke' or separated all of the separate transients, import your new/added sample, creating a new track in the process.

After you have your sample and your previous track primed, copy then delete or cut the sample. Then just use tab to transient and the "p" and ";" keys to move up and down between the tracks (tab to original the use ";" to move down, paste, then use "p" to move up--repeat). This usually takes quite a while and you have to listen and look to make sure everything is lined up and that you haven't missed anything.

Tried and true method although it does kinda suck sometimes, not to mention it does not represent a 'real' drummer or player that well. I hope this is what you meant and I hope this helps! Happy editing/engineering!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search