The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Will I be able to get good sounding recordings?
Old 24th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Will I be able to get good sounding recordings?

I've been questioning my mic setup a bit lately reading too many threads, I currently use a focusrite scarlett 18i6 with a rode nt2a for vocals and then i'm going to be using a sm57 to record distorted rock guitar sound (When I get a smaller tube amp)

But i've been hearing all sorts like sm57's dont produce great sounds without a good preamp (was considering a preamp but wasn't sure how much difference they'd make) etc and I should try using a 2nd mic etc (Will give the rode a try)

Will I be able to get some good recordings or am I going to just be disappointed?
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

Hey, Cap.

Your ability to get good sounding recordings will not be limited by the gear that you now have.

That said, you most likely will be disappointed at first. I surely was. Just remember that old addage about putting in 10,000 hours to get good at anything and you'll do fine.

Oh....that 57 should get you some great sounds.
Old 24th December 2011
Gear Maniac

What the creepy uncle said. If you stick with it long enough you will be able to get some amazing recordings using that gear but first and foremost you are going to be disappointed. A lot.
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by captshiznit View Post
I've been questioning my mic setup a bit lately reading too many threads, I currently use a focusrite scarlett 18i6 with a rode nt2a for vocals and then i'm going to be using a sm57 to record distorted rock guitar sound (When I get a smaller tube amp)

But i've been hearing all sorts like sm57's dont produce great sounds without a good preamp (was considering a preamp but wasn't sure how much difference they'd make) etc and I should try using a 2nd mic etc (Will give the rode a try)

Will I be able to get some good recordings or am I going to just be disappointed?
your skill will be more impactful wrt good sound than any gear could be
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

The SM57 could sound just fine. It's certainly one to try. If it doesn't deliver, an ADK S7 might be worth a look and doesn't cost too much.
Old 24th December 2011
Gear Nut

I have a £20 radio shack performance mic that I can get PRO sounding recordings from. Worry less about the quality of the sound coming in your signal path and worry more about what you do with it afterwards.
Old 25th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Zuko View Post
I have a £20 radio shack performance mic that I can get PRO sounding recordings from. Worry less about the quality of the sound coming in your signal path and worry more about what you do with it afterwards.
Thanks for all the replies guys naturally you get a bit negative thinking oh I don't have a 2 grand u87 I won't get good vocals! it's weird how your mind does that.
Old 25th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I disagree! It's all about getting it right at the source. Use what you have and listen,listen, listen! It will take awhile like everyone already said but you will get there.

Get it right at the source or as close as possible, then make it shine in the mix. Dont just throw up a mic anywhere and think I'll just tweak it in the mix to sound right, you will probably never get it to sound right! Trial and error, Merry Christmas!
Old 25th December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Zuko
Nothing could be further from the truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyrad View Post
I disagree! It's all about getting it right at the source. Use what you have and listen,listen, listen! It will take awhile like everyone already said but you will get there.

Get it right at the source or as close as possible, then make it shine in the mix. Dont just throw up a mic anywhere and think I'll just tweak it in the mix to sound right, you will probably never get it to sound right! Trial and error, Merry Christmas!
Exactly.

And to add to the OP your gear is not a problem at this moment. You could have the finest equipment money can buy and your recordings will still suffer greatly until you become skilled and experienced enough to get things right. You will be able to get good recordings with that gear as soon as you learn how.
Old 25th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope... I don't think so.

There is an appropriate adage that has been around for a while.... sh*t in = sh*t out. As other posters have already aluded to, getting a good sound going in will get you most of the way to "getting good recordings".

Playing/singing well... with feeling.... is ALWAYS a good place to start
Old 3rd January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordZilla View Post
Nope... I don't think so.

There is an appropriate adage that has been around for a while.... sh*t in = sh*t out. As other posters have already aluded to, getting a good sound going in will get you most of the way to "getting good recordings".

Playing/singing well... with feeling.... is ALWAYS a good place to start
Yeah I'm aware performance counts for most definitely.
Old 8th February 2012
Even if you went into a world class studio you could still produce a bad recording if you don't yet have the skills. We all sucked when we first started out so it's best to learn about how to EQ and mix like a pro than worry about buying more mics and preamps initially. Just buy the best you can afford at the time and work on your skills and knowledge.
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

The final product, regardless of gear, will be as good as the talent singing/playing into the mics. All this gear crap is overblown. Nebraska was recorded with an SM57, a 4 track recorder and Bruce freaking Springsteen.

Just go make the best recordings you can!
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear
Love your handle, Cap'n. It's da shiznit!

Ever think about the word "research"? Re-search? As in, keep searching for the answer. That's the way I treat audio, video, photography, design, etc. If your recordings don't blow your skirt up, go try something else. Sure, you can get tips and ideas from Gearslutz or by reading books and magazines, but in the end it gets down to the loop that starts with placing mics and adjusting preamps and ends up with a mixed-down product that you have to evaluate. Learning to be a critical listener takes time but using your observations to go make changes that work is really the key.

Once you have some of the basics wired, worry yourself about the acoustics of the space you record in and how you use that space. At the least, get some portable isolation, trapping and diffusion - and you can find great advice here on Gearslutz on how to make your own fairly inexpensively.

Always try to attack your weaknesses but realize that figuring out weaknesses is difficult as you progress. Ask others to listen to your recordings and get their input.
Old 8th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Theres only one thing for shure, if you keep on asking and in the way of learning, OFCOURSE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ACHIVE GOOD SOUND RECORDINGS. You can visit youtube and serch for some advice in recording, gear, balls, etc.
Some say that you will be disappointed, but don´t be....
Here you have some tips:
Recording level: try to have a recording level of -10, this way any hard pic will be down 0db and your track wont be saturated.
Before recording guitar: try to get the best sound in your amp and use both mics that you have to record the amp, try to put them at the same distance from the grill, to avoid face problems ( if there is face problems the mixed sound of the both mics will be lower so move the mic a little until the sound gets harder in volume, this is a simple way to deal with the phase).
The voice: test+test+test = nice spot in your room. Find the sweet spot for voice recording in your room, try to put the singer with his-her eyes in front of the noise sousces as the computer CPU etc, as your Rode is cardioid you wont record those noises as they are not being captured by the mic, just the voice in front of it.
And well, there are many ways to have good results, but as no one say how to achive them,haha, here you have some thing to start.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search