The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
just got in a micshop u87
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear
just got in a micshop u87

just got in a vintage 70's u87 from the mic shop. its been serviced moded etc. can't wait to try it out. anybody have or used one of these. ill report back.
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear

I have 2 vintage U87 mics from the 1970's and they are workhorses. You can never have too many of them. Bill Bradley did some work on mine to match the levels to use as a stereo pair. One thing, all old U87's from the 70's sound slightly different from each other as they were largely hand made and the components have aged differently. One of mine sounds better on vocals than the other one, but both are excellent drum overheads. The old ones sound warmer than the newer U87Ai models. The U87 is almost a universal mic and you try it on anything. The old U87's (and the older U67 and U77) have an amazing ability to take even large amounts of eq and still sound good so you can usually make them work on most any source.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search