The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ProFire 2626 - what to go with it?
Old 23rd December 2011
Here for the gear
ProFire 2626 - what to go with it?

Hello good sirs,

I have upgraded my desk to a Soundtracs CM440 and my tape machine to an Otari MTR 90 MK1 (and rebuilt the whole studio, which is nice, but irrelevant), and so now I need to get 24 tracks in and out to Pro Tools instead of the 16 I currently get from my DIGI 002 and Focusrite ISA 828.

Keeping the focusrite, of course, and considering the M-Audio ProFire 2626 as an interface. I'm on an iMac, so it's Firewire only. I've read the sage advice on this interface across the forums, and it sounds like it's for me. I've got an old Octopre as well, so my 24 channels IN are sorted, but I don't know what to do about the OUTS!

I'd like to get 24 analogue outputs going to mix out of the box. The Profire of course has 8 out with a further 16 via ADAT. I can't seem to find anything much cheaper than the Apogee Symphony (Apogee Symphony I/O Configuration, 16 Analog OUT, 16 Optical IN > Apogee Electronics) at $3690! Surely there is another way? Does anyone else use something similar?
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear

I would recommend a Lynx Aurora16 with Adat card. While you may have the converter cards made by Focusrite probably already inside your 828 and octo, you'll notice an improvement in your recording quality on the way in using the Lynx and you'll have effectively solved your D/A situation as well. Get yourself a really high end 2ch A/D with a Burl, DAD or even some of the new Blacklion units(red or white) and clock the Aurora and Profire to it and you'll be in heaven.
Old 23rd December 2011
Gear Addict

my vote is lynx to. I got a lynx aurora 8 connected by adat to my profire. The lynx also gives you a better clock than the profire. I had clocking problems until I got the lynx

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search