The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Scored some original UA stuff! BL-40!! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 24th April 2006
Lives for gear

Scored some original UA stuff! BL-40!!

Wow.

this is a huge day for me. I managed to score a pair of UREI BL-40 Modulimiters.

These are proportedly each an 1176 chained with an LA-2A for transients.. generally marketed as broadbacd "AGC" (for you radio types) to radio station engineers to take care of AM program matereal.

The controls are under a panel and require a greenie to operate. Assumedly so people wouldent mess with them.

The controls are input (the famous input style of the 1176 I guess?), limiting (the low end says RMS, the top end peak), and output. The bottom row.. looks like for callibration... RMS Zero and Peak Zero.

There is another pot for positive thresholds... making sure it never goes over certian precentages over zero. Being a radio engineer myself, I can tell you this is an FCC safeguard to control peaks over 125 percent. Also a bypass switch.

Anyone ever messed with one? I am still out of town, not at the main studio... not had a chance to try em out yet!

A repair man took care of them in 2000 (according to repair tags on the back of each) but im not sure what he did.. replaced caps or what.

These just may become a major part of my front end. Cant wait to try them on overheads, vocals, and guitars.

All screw terminals in the back; I'll just make up some neutric XLR's on Belden cable and make pigtails to screw in.

Too excited for words.
Old 24th April 2006
nice catch!
please give us a report on the sound of this goodie.
Old 24th April 2006
Lives for gear

You may or may not have seen this: http://www.rollmusic.com/projects/BL40.shtml

They say that you have to remove some things out of it to get it to sound right..now I wouldn´t know..

That said; congratz with your new gear!

Kalli
Old 24th April 2006
you can always try to ask a question at
http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/index.php and see if a kind soul can offer some help.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search