The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help Me Classify Some EQ's & Compressors
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear Head

Help Me Classify Some EQ's & Compressors

Looking to pick up 2 new software compressors and 2 new software EQs. I am an electronica producer and mainly produce using synthetic sounds. I'm looking for compressors and EQ's which would work well using synthetic sounds. I don't like to use the same EQ and compressor for everything, so can anyone please list a few good EQs and compressors out there and what instruments they colour best?

I have a few of them but many were impulse buys before I really dug into seeing what they work best on. When it comes to compressors and equalizers I don't have a very good ear at picking up which instruments they work best on.

Currently I have:

Compressors
Softube Tube-Tech CL 1B
Solid State Logic Duende Bus Compressor
Waves C1 Compressor
Waves Renaissance Compressor
URS 1980 Classic Console Vintage Compressor

EQs
Waves Renaissance 4-Band EQ
Waves Linear Broadband EQ
Eiosis AirEQ
SPL PassEQ
PSPaudioware Neon HR
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Definitely Acustica Nebula. There's a great free version with some of the best EQs, compressors and all the other goodies. For Electronica I'd recommend it because the EQs are so phat, especially the API-"inspired" ones.
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FShkreli View Post
Looking to pick up 2 new software compressors and 2 new software EQs. I am an electronica producer and mainly produce using synthetic sounds. I'm looking for compressors and EQ's which would work well using synthetic sounds. I don't like to use the same EQ and compressor for everything, so can anyone please list a few good EQs and compressors out there and what instruments they colour best?

I have a few of them but many were impulse buys before I really dug into seeing what they work best on. When it comes to compressors and equalizers I don't have a very good ear at picking up which instruments they work best on.

Currently I have:

Compressors
Softube Tube-Tech CL 1B
Solid State Logic Duende Bus Compressor
Waves C1 Compressor
Waves Renaissance Compressor
URS 1980 Classic Console Vintage Compressor

EQs
Waves Renaissance 4-Band EQ
Waves Linear Broadband EQ
Eiosis AirEQ
SPL PassEQ
PSPaudioware Neon HR
TBH, if you want something that works with synthetic sounds, I'd buy some hardware. You have all the Eq's and compressors you should need to make synthetic music.

I always like running anything synthetic, through something that is instrinsically not synthetic.

If you are on a budget, I'd start with an Art Pro VLAII and RNC or RNLA, or even Black Lion's Neve inspired compressor, or even GAP's Neve inspired compressor. Chameleon Labs do a bunch of nice stuff too. If you are not on a budget I would go API 500 series, or get an 1176 or maybe one of the Summit Audio units.

You'd run them through it and rerecord them through to your DAW. Nudging back to be in time with the original track. Do not fuss about settings, have some fun; squash the hell out of something or just kiss the meters, it doesn't matter. You'll learn more about compression and EQ using hardware than you ever will with plug ins.

EQ wise is a harder choice. Again Black Lion do a nice EQ. Other low end options I can't really think of. But there's hundreds of high end options, just do a search.

IF you don't take my advice, which I suggest you do, then the Waves API bundle is pretty sweet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search