The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Interface Upgrade, need help!
Old 21st December 2011
Here for the gear

Interface Upgrade, need help!

Ok,

I'm still rocking the Digi002 and really want to upgrade to something else, I need your help! I searched a bunch of other threads and didn't find anything with my exact concerns.

Here's my current setup:
Windows 7, 64-bit.
Pro Tools 9.
Digidesign 002
Rosetta 800 via ADAT.
A few outboard pre's that I'm happy with.

My goal: Record all 8 channels of the Rosetta 800 into PT9 @ 96k. My budget is $1,500 or less.

My investigations have found:
- I can't use the X-Firewire card for the Rosetta because Apogee doesn't support Windows after XP.
- I need a new interface that can handle 2 sets of ADAT to get all 8 channels of the Rosetta at 96k.

Based on interfaces I've checked out, here are some options:
M-Audio Profire 2626
Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
Focusrite OctoPre MkII Dynamic
RME Fireface 800
RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
RME HDSPe RayDAT

I don't need the extra PRE's, but it wouldn't hurt. So I'm leaning towards one of the firewire interfaces, rackmounted.

Does all of the above sound right? Would all of those interfaces suffice for my goal listed above?

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be super duper appreciated! Thanks!
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear
If you can stretch to $1700, some people have found the RME UFX for that price. It sounds like a good option for you given your needs. Check out some of the newer posts here:

RME Fireface UFX
Old 22nd December 2011
Here for the gear

Yeah, I've been checking those out. It's just a little too high for me. And since I don't really need a lot of channels (I'm just recording myself), using the double ADAT ins/outs from any of these interfaces with the Rosetta should be all I need.

So it's hard for me to justify going from the Profire 2626 at $400 used to the UFX at $1800 used. Unless of course it's less stable and has other deficiencies.

Anyone else have any other suggestions or advice?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search