The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1940s era 78 transfer problem
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Addict

1940s era 78 transfer problem

Hi, I am looking for advice in regards to transferring some 78s from the early 1940s - 1950s. My grandmother was an opera singer and I want to transfer these discs to digital. The problem is that the stylus will not stay in the groove for some discs, regardless of the weight I add. There are about 50 discs--some are the very thin paper home records, some are made of glass, and some are vinyl. They were very well taken care of but are so old that some of them are basically falling apart as I handle them. I usually wipe each disc off with a damp cloth before use. What else can I do to keep the stylus in the groove? I am using a numark ttxusb turntable with the CC-1 cartridge. Thanks in advance.
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

I think there is laser or something similar that can read old vinyl records. Maybe this can do the job?

Found this.

http://www.elpj.com/
Old 21st December 2011
Can you play these at a lower speed and then digitally pitch shift it up? This kind of pitch shifting does not require timestretching or formant correct, so it's practically free of any artifacts - basically just a sample rate conversion ... it's possible this would give you a better signal than normal speed.
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabby View Post
Hi, I am looking for advice in regards to transferring some 78s from the early 1940s - 1950s. My grandmother was an opera singer and I want to transfer these discs to digital. The problem is that the stylus will not stay in the groove for some discs, regardless of the weight I add. There are about 50 discs--some are the very thin paper home records, some are made of glass, and some are vinyl. They were very well taken care of but are so old that some of them are basically falling apart as I handle them. I usually wipe each disc off with a damp cloth before use. What else can I do to keep the stylus in the groove? I am using a numark ttxusb turntable with the CC-1 cartridge. Thanks in advance.
you need a 78 sized stylus
the usual LP 33.3 stylus is too small

for real
the groove sizes are different
33.3 is microgroove
78 was the full size groove
Old 21st December 2011
Are you using the proper size stylus?

'Modern' microgroove 33-1/3 rpm LPs require a stylus to be ~.7 to 1 mil at the tip.

However, 78 rpm disks require a stylus ~ 3 mil tip. Also, phonographs properly designed for 78 rpm use had much heavier stylus weights.

Phono cartridge, custom stylus, 78 rpm stylus, LP stylus, record needle
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear Addict

Theblue1, you are correct, I was able to get my hands on a "78" player. The stylus looks like the end of a 6 penny nail. That fixed my problem. Being a young guy I didn't know about the different sizes. Thanks for the help.
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabby View Post
Theblue1, you are correct, I was able to get my hands on a "78" player. The stylus looks like the end of a 6 penny nail. That fixed my problem. Being a young guy I didn't know about the different sizes. Thanks for the help.
you are welcome

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search