The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann KH 120 Review
Old 9th April 2019 | Show parent
  #271
Here for the gear
 
icyblue0108's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd270 View Post
Get a high quality preamp.
Can you elaborate which one do you prefer?
Old 9th April 2019 | Show parent
  #272
If you are in North America, check this out:
Parasound Zphono MM/MC Phono Preamplifier with USB-Audio Advisor
If not, Google good, cheap preamps.

They don't come more fully featured than that Parasound for $250!
Old 9th April 2019 | Show parent
  #273
Lives for gear
 

Which preamp do I prefer ?

Can't help much there because I have not followed the hi-fi electronics market in quite a while. The Quad 99 preamp/used might be a decent choice but sold only 120v in the USA and 220v in Britain or a transformer change would be required, not worth it, most used ones are in England. The passive preamp with 'short cables' would be the best choice but can also get expensive if you want multiple inputs. Goldpoint comes to mind but have not used it myself. Avoid tubes and transformers if you want neutral and transparent. A Dac/preamp with a couple analog inputs is another option. You have to just do a lot of work researching the market, also Gearslutz has some threads on passive preamps.
Old 9th April 2019 | Show parent
  #274
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd270 View Post
Can't help much there because I have not followed the hi-fi electronics market in quite a while. The Quad 99 preamp/used might be a decent choice but sold only 120v in the USA and 220v in Britain or a transformer change would be required, not worth it, most used ones are in England. The passive preamp with 'short cables' would be the best choice but can also get expensive if you want multiple inputs. Goldpoint comes to mind but have not used it myself. Avoid tubes and transformers if you want neutral and transparent. A Dac/preamp with a couple analog inputs is another option. You have to just do a lot of work researching the market, also Gearslutz has some threads on passive preamps.
Passive preamps will not fill his phono input needs.
Old 9th April 2019 | Show parent
  #275
Lives for gear
 

Of course, no gain and RIAA correction.
Old 21st July 2019
  #276
Here for the gear
 

Why does the KH 120 seem to have so much more bass than the PSI A17-M when the latter has a bigger woofer?
Old 2nd June 2020
  #277
Lives for gear
 
rosewood123's Avatar
 

I'm thinking about grabbing a pair of these locally. They'll be a well-needed upgrade from my JBL LSR305s, which I've found to be suprisingly good for the price (I like them more than the Yamaha HS line), but I nonetheless think it's time to get something much better. Wish I could afford the KH 310s, but I'd like to keep my budget under $2000. Also considering the Event 20/20 BAS, which I could get used for around $600 Canadian. But looking at reviews, it seems these are the best for the $2k budget. This would also allow me the option of adding a sub down the line.
Old 11th June 2020 | Show parent
  #278
Lives for gear
 
lowkey's Avatar
 

I've had quite a few 'under $2k' monitors, and ive ranked them in order below

Event 20/20 passives
Dynaudio BM6 passives
PMC DB1i passives
KH 120 actives
Amphion One15 passives

Each monitor was a significant improvement.
IMO the KH120's were miles ahead of the Event 2020's, although it was the passive model.

I had the KH120s for a good 3 or 4 years and found them to be quite good. I still have them as a backup pair and do find them a bit difficult to judge the low mids on compared to the Amphions, but still alot easier to make decisions than the others on that list...

Whilst i havent heard them myself, the KH80's are supposed to be great too, and if you are going to add a sub, might be the better option as they probably can do the mid range a bit better with the smaller woofer.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
I'm thinking about grabbing a pair of these locally. They'll be a well-needed upgrade from my JBL LSR305s, which I've found to be suprisingly good for the price (I like them more than the Yamaha HS line), but I nonetheless think it's time to get something much better. Wish I could afford the KH 310s, but I'd like to keep my budget under $2000. Also considering the Event 20/20 BAS, which I could get used for around $600 Canadian. But looking at reviews, it seems these are the best for the $2k budget. This would also allow me the option of adding a sub down the line.
Old 11th June 2020 | Show parent
  #279
tbf
Here for the gear
 

you mean that in the sense of not having to feed higher registries to the sub?
Old 11th June 2020 | Show parent
  #280
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
I'm thinking about grabbing a pair of these locally. They'll be a well-needed upgrade from my JBL LSR305s, which I've found to be suprisingly good for the price (I like them more than the Yamaha HS line), but I nonetheless think it's time to get something much better. Wish I could afford the KH 310s, but I'd like to keep my budget under $2000. Also considering the Event 20/20 BAS, which I could get used for around $600 Canadian. But looking at reviews, it seems these are the best for the $2k budget. This would also allow me the option of adding a sub down the line.
The JBL 305s are hard to beat for anywhere near the money.
If you could afford it I'd recommend Amphion One15s, but the requisite high quality amplifier puts that far over your budget—the passive speakers alone are $2400 CAD.

For <$2000 CAD my advice is buy the KH120s, but also look for a Yamaha sub or two, in particular the old YST SW-100, the best kept secret in subs, with twin 7" paper cones and servo control. I've got two—I believe in dual subs—and get super clean output to below 30Hz. I paid less than $100 each for them used. Apparently they are all over Nashville. Grab 'em while you can—they are 20-25 years old and people think they are worthless because they don't have 12" drivers with massive rubber surrounds, but we know better, don't we. They were actually specifically designed to mate with the NS100, if you've heard of them (!) and apparently work amazingly together.

Yamaha YST-SW100 Subwoofer

I think KH120s with two subs of this kind would embarrass a pair of Neuman 310s, especially in LF extension and quality.

I've owned KH o300s which sound very much like the KH 310s and compared the 120s to them. I was amazed how close a small two way could come. I prefered the highs on the 120 to the o300, but prefered the mids of the 300 to the 120 but not by much. As I say I think the 120s with subs would out do the 310s. I also auditioned the KH80s and was disappointed. I think a sub is compulsory with them, not optional, unless you work exclusively with solo triangle or glass harmonica.

Another more exciting and out-of-left-field option, which I would be inclined to explore after having owned a pair of Presonus Sceptre S8s, would be a pair of Sceptre S6s which I haven't heard, but read that the midrange is slightly preferable to the S8s which I already found good, if very slightly questionable in comparison to the o300s—but then the midrange of most speakers out there falls short of the o300. This with a pair of the aforementioned Yamaha subs would be an excitiing and accurate combination with a ton more headroom than the 120 combination.

As an aside, I have never heard more detail than from the S8 and more precise image placement. I first listened to an orchestral recording I had made where 90% of the mix was the main stereo pair and the other 10% consisted of the various spot mics around the orchestra. Immediately it was crystal clear that the spot mics were mono, not stereo pairs, as the output from them (and it was miniscule) was unmistakably mono. I was blown away. I have never heard that sort of detail before or since.

Another advantage of the Presonus package is that the S6 comes with selectable high pass filters: flat, 60, 80, 100Hz which is a bonus when integrating with a sub. The KH 120 does not offer this option, so you have to run it full range whci limits the peak spl of the whole system to the power handling of the KH120 trying to do bass.

I see you can get S6s now in Canada for $729 each with free shipping, so that's $**** plus $200 for the two subs. Well under $2000!
Old 11th June 2020 | Show parent
  #281
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
I’m using an Eve TS108 sub with my KH120’s and really like the overall improvement in bass extension and low mids this made. I’m tempted to demo the Neumann KH750DSP at some point as this applies DSP correction to the KH120’s and am curious to hear how much difference this makes. Saying that, the Eve TS108 sounds surprisingly great for its small size and the remote control feature is a big asset to my workflow.
Old 11th June 2020 | Show parent
  #282
Lives for gear
 
rosewood123's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
I've had quite a few 'under $2k' monitors, and ive ranked them in order below

Event 20/20 passives
Dynaudio BM6 passives
PMC DB1i passives
KH 120 actives
Amphion One15 passives

Each monitor was a significant improvement.
IMO the KH120's were miles ahead of the Event 2020's, although it was the passive model.
Were you ranking these in ascending order (so Event 20/20 the worst and Amphion One15 the best)? That seems about right.

I did look into the Amphions as well. They look superb. I'd love to try out the One15s and the One18s at some point.

I remember reading about the YST SW-100 sub at some point and how they're a steal. I might scoop up a couple just to have for a future setup.

Now I do feel bad as all this info is coming after I put in an order for a pair of Dynaudio Lyd 48 speakers. My room is fairly small and not treated extremely well for bass (something I'm making a priority now), so I was on the fence about a setup with subs. The Lyd 48s are just over $3000 CAD, so I did decide to just up my budget as monitoring is super important. I just can't skimp on it. The other benefit of getting the Lyds is that I could grab them from my local shop -- which means I can return them if I don't like them.

I'm still thinking about the KH 120s or KH 80s in the future as a smaller speaker. The Sceptre s8s and s6s sound intriguing as well, especially with the high pass like mentioned.

I'm also thinking about the Kii Three down the road when I have my room better sorted out. But hey, that's a ways away, and they're the price of a used car ....
Old 12th June 2020 | Show parent
  #283
Lives for gear
 
lowkey's Avatar
 

Yeah, thats correct. Amphion One15s by far the best.
Id also add that in my experience, the KH120s by themselves were better than the KH120s+Sub FOR MIXING and the Amphion One15's were better than One15's+Sub for MIXING. {tracking is another question, where vibe is more important than accuracy IMO].

If you are only mixing, and not trying to impress customers with loud volumes, then the Amphion One15's are literally all you will ever need.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Were you ranking these in ascending order (so Event 20/20 the worst and Amphion One15 the best)? That seems about right.

I did look into the Amphions as well. They look superb. I'd love to try out the One15s and the One18s at some point.

I remember reading about the YST SW-100 sub at some point and how they're a steal. I might scoop up a couple just to have for a future setup.

Now I do feel bad as all this info is coming after I put in an order for a pair of Dynaudio Lyd 48 speakers. My room is fairly small and not treated extremely well for bass (something I'm making a priority now), so I was on the fence about a setup with subs. The Lyd 48s are just over $3000 CAD, so I did decide to just up my budget as monitoring is super important. I just can't skimp on it. The other benefit of getting the Lyds is that I could grab them from my local shop -- which means I can return them if I don't like them.

I'm still thinking about the KH 120s or KH 80s in the future as a smaller speaker. The Sceptre s8s and s6s sound intriguing as well, especially with the high pass like mentioned.

I'm also thinking about the Kii Three down the road when I have my room better sorted out. But hey, that's a ways away, and they're the price of a used car ....
Old 3rd October 2020 | Show parent
  #284
Deleted 6833614
Guest
Got a pair of these.

One thing that my brain struggles to compute is how huge they sound.

I close my eyes and I swear I'm listening to something like Mackies HR824, and then I open my eyes and look for 2ft tall monitors and... I see nothing... takes me a few moments to realize there are just these tiny weeny little black boxes where the sound is coming from.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1258 views: 303504
Avatar for Brakka
Brakka 21st December 2019
replies: 61 views: 83438
Avatar for jasonro
jasonro 30th November 2017
replies: 108 views: 47920
Avatar for ISedlacek
ISedlacek 18th March 2013
replies: 234 views: 46107
Avatar for alainH
alainH 24th June 2015
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump