The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Symphony I/O - Firmware/Software Release 4.1
Old 21st December 2011
Here for the gear

Apogee Symphony I/O - Firmware/Software Release 4.1

I've installed Release 4.1 firmware/software to my Symphony I/O. It's made a significant improvement to the fan noise. And a welcome new feature is a low latency mixer for the Symphony 64 PCIe card mode. With this it's possible to listen to analog input signals from the front panel earphone jacks while rehearsing or tracking. Previously this was possible with USB mode.
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Oh sweet! Thanks for the heads up!

Old 21st December 2011
Here for the gear

Great!! Thank you!!
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

In order to pass audio through the low latency mixer, it will be necessary to open up Maestro 2, click on the Output Routing tab, and drag line 1/2 (or whatever channels you use), down to Mixer 1 or Mixer 2.

Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Very excited about trying this out after the holidays.

Is it possible to setup queue mixes to a separate set of outputs (3/4) for musicians while I monitor the mix?

Also note that there's a kit for minor modification of the chassis - blocking the left-hand vent holes to better direct airflow through the chassis. If you fill out their form they'll send you a specific material to use for the mod. See page 2 of the 4.1 release notes for more info.
Old 21st December 2011
Freaking awesome, I have missed the low latency mixer so much.
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Regarding the fan noise, is it down to levels where it can be in the same room for tracking, or is isolating it still advisable?
Old 21st December 2011
Here for the gear

Re the fan noise and tracking, i guess it depends on the application and proximity. The fan noise is quieter and steadier but not inaudible. I was doing some compressor testing with an LDC sitting a cubit from a twin module Sym IO and the fan noise was clearly audible in headphones. But with the mic on the other side of the room for rock vocals it would have been all right I think. This was with tape over the left hand side vents, to drag intake air over the modules.
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Makes sense, what cards are you using?
Old 21st December 2011
Here for the gear

The two modules installed are the 8 analog IO/8 optical IO and the 16 analog out/16 optical in. This box generates some heat when its working. A friend who's into astronomy suggested I look at after-market water cooling for the ADDA chips. Might be worth investigating - though, the fan noise after the 4.1 upgrade is about the same as the Windows box on my desk here at work. Or about the same as my MacPro, just steadier.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search