The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Doubt about reverb!
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Maniac
Doubt about reverb!

Hello everybody!

So, I always mixed ITB, I'm doing some stuff OTB now.. Now I'm thinking of getting a TC electronic Reverb 4000....

When I record a vocal for example my chain is
Mic -> Pre -> Converter... After that I make a new track on Pro tools and press record... I solo the track with the vocal and send it to output 1 of my interface on the output 1 I plug a compressor, and then plug the output of the compressor on the input 1 of the interface.. And that new track is recording what is going in the interface input 1, and that is how I get my vocal track compressed...

I don't have an output reverb, so to put some reverb on the vocals I make a bus to an aux channel and insert a reverb plugin on the aux channel... But, if I buy the outboard reverb, like the TC, how can I record the reverb ? I mean, the aux channel doesn't have a "record" button to press, and if I do the same thing as I do for compressor, I think it wouldn't work, I never heard of someone using the reverb on the same track, it is always a bus, but, how can I make a bus when the reverb is not a plugin, it is a hardware ?

I know this might be confusing, I hope I was clear enough though
Hope someone can help me out!!

Thanks everybody already!
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Maniac

Do the same thing as you do with the compressor but instead of getting rid or muting your vocal (the one with the compression on) leave it as your main track and only turn your reverb track up by the amount you want!

It's pretty much what your doing by using a bus. I would ensure your reverb mix on the unit is set to 100% wet.

Hope this makes sense,

Pete
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrecording View Post
Do the same thing as you do with the compressor but instead of getting rid or muting your vocal (the one with the compression on) leave it as your main track and only turn your reverb track up by the amount you want!

It's pretty much what your doing by using a bus. I would ensure your reverb mix on the unit is set to 100% wet.

Hope this makes sense,

Pete
Yes it do make sense!
Thanks a lot for the help, how I didn't think about it
Old 21st December 2011
What you are asking about is called "outboard gear as inserts". Cubase, Nuendo, and Pro Tools all support this feature (as well as some other DAWs). You tell the software how you have connected your outboard gear, whether this is a reverb, compressor, eq, etc. and then call it up just as you would call up a plugin (i.e. as an insert on the track).

In the case of reverbs you would absolutely use an aux track. If you want to print that reverb, simply set the output of the track to a new bus and create a stereo audio track and hit record and print into it.
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
What you are asking about is called "outboard gear as inserts". Cubase, Nuendo, and Pro Tools all support this feature (as well as some other DAWs). You tell the software how you have connected your outboard gear, whether this is a reverb, compressor, eq, etc. and then call it up just as you would call up a plugin (i.e. as an insert on the track).

In the case of reverbs you would absolutely use an aux track. If you want to print that reverb, simply set the output of the track to a new bus and create a stereo audio track and hit record and print into it.
A question, doing it like that, it is possible to have different settings on the same mix ? I mean, I call the reverb as a plugin for the main vocal, but on the backing vocal I want the reverb a bit louder, is it possible or I'd need another outboard reverb ?
Lets not say louder, because that I could fix by turning the aux channel up, lets say I want a room reverb on the main vocal and a hall reverb on the backing for example, and another different reverb for acoustic, and another for drums, would that be possible with just one outboard reverb ?

Thanks a lot!
Old 21st December 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
Have tried to do this in other DAWs and could only make it work in ProTools, because in its architecture you can assign the buss to the input of an audio track and print it in real time without 'bouncing' or 'rendering' the whole mix or just one of the group outputs... whatever you call it depending on the software.

Probably something I was doing wrong, would love to know how to do this in Nuendo (Cubase) as I just bought it not one week ago and still fairly wet around the ears with that. As far as I was told by more experienced Nuendo users, the only way to do this particular thing (sending the output of an Aux track to a buss and recording it into another audio track as you would an audio signal from your interface) is to use a plug-in called "Silverspike TapeIt!", haven't had the time to study this yet... This is a bit of a problem like when trying to make some non-automated moves to the source track while printing, as the rendering process if always something that takes place off-line.

The only workaround I knew was to render to disk while muting the dry source signal so that only the reverb is heard, and then import the resulting audio file back into the session, which is obviously a bit klutzy. In Pro Tools it's an absolute breeze to do without even thinking about it, and one of the platform's great strengths as it makes me use it bussing things as I would on a console.
This has been bugging me for a long time in Logic as well. Here's another thing I could never do in Logic: play a virtual instrument live (from a keyboard) and record the virtual instrument's audio output to disk. But not after having first recorded the MIDI performance data and then rendering that to disk. Playing the virtual instrument with a keyboard and recording its audio output to disk as I am playing. Again, this is very much possible in Pro Tools, a no-brainer really.

Please someone show me either of these! It has been bugging me for a long time with Logic Pro, and now that I have Nuendo I really need to understand how to make this happen...
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Addict

Route audio to a second audio track, record that. If that's not possible in Logic/whatever, I'll eat my own sick.
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salivan View Post
A question, doing it like that, it is possible to have different settings on the same mix ? I mean, I call the reverb as a plugin for the main vocal, but on the backing vocal I want the reverb a bit louder, is it possible or I'd need another outboard reverb ?
Lets not say louder, because that I could fix by turning the aux channel up, lets say I want a room reverb on the main vocal and a hall reverb on the backing for example, and another different reverb for acoustic, and another for drums, would that be possible with just one outboard reverb ?

Thanks a lot!
Can anybody help me ?
I don't want to spend money in something I'm not going to know how to use!!

Leta that the inser i/o of channel 1 & 2 are my reverb... So o the drum bus I inser i/o 1& 2 and get my outboard reverb acting like a plugin reverb, ok...

Problem is, is it possible to use that same insert (1 & 2) for vocals, for example ?
I mean, lets say I'm using the hall reverb for the drums, and want to use the room reverb for the vocals, but there is only 1 outboard reverb, is it going to be possible ?

Thanks already!
Old 21st December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salivan View Post
Can anybody help me ?
I don't want to spend money in something I'm not going to know how to use!!

Leta that the inser i/o of channel 1 & 2 are my reverb... So o the drum bus I inser i/o 1& 2 and get my outboard reverb acting like a plugin reverb, ok...

Problem is, is it possible to use that same insert (1 & 2) for vocals, for example ?
I mean, lets say I'm using the hall reverb for the drums, and want to use the room reverb for the vocals, but there is only 1 outboard reverb, is it going to be possible ?

Thanks already!
Of course not. If you have a single engine outboard reverb you are going to get a single stereo reverb effect. The process of inserting it onto a track in your DAW is simply how you integrate the outboard gear into your session. It doesn't magically become software.

If you want a piece of hardware that will do two stereo engines get the Lexicon PCM96 Surround. Otherwise you'll have to purchase multiple pieces of outboard gear and set them up how you want them.
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Maniac

Of all the pieces of gear in my studio, outboard digital effects get the least use. If you've got a small rig (and it sounds like you do) and a decent sounding reverb plug-in (and there are plenty out there for free), then you really don't need an outboard effects processor. I'd say save that money an put it toward another mic or preamp or something you'd get more mileage out of.
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by taherbert View Post
Of all the pieces of gear in my studio, outboard digital effects get the least use. If you've got a small rig (and it sounds like you do) and a decent sounding reverb plug-in (and there are plenty out there for free), then you really don't need an outboard effects processor. I'd say save that money an put it toward another mic or preamp or something you'd get more mileage out of.
I second that. Some really decent-sounding and affordable reverb plugins are:

-e.B
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear Maniac

If you go back to my way of doing it you can have as many different types of reverb as you want as your recording it to a track once you've decided on the sound you want. Therefore after the reverb is recorded in you can start to work on the reverb for your backing vox and record that in, move onto drums etc etc!

In saying that I personally wouldn't be bothered with all that unless you had an amazing unit (bricasti maybe!) I'd totally agree with those above and just use reverb itb, it's ALOT less hassle and some of them beat alot of the outboard stuff (Valhalla room is VERT impressive)

Hope this helps,

Pete

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search