The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Running a V-ampire through JCM900 head
Old 20th December 2011
Here for the gear

Running a V-ampire through JCM900 head

Greetings all...

First post here. Great forum... been learning a lot the past week or so since I found it in my new quest to understand all of these noise making gadgets I have.

I was wondering if I can use a Behringer V-ampire 112 combo as a MEP and run it through a JCM900 head I picked up a few days ago. I'm thinking... left and right unbalanced line outs into a 2 into 1 then into the input of the head?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Maniac

Why would you want to?

You certainly would not want to put it in front of the amp, because any delay/reverb kind of sound will become useless due to the overdrive of the Marshall (and you will want to use the Marshall for your overdriven sounds, not the Behringer).

I wouldn't use it in the effects loop of the JCM900 either, because it will not improve the sound in any way.

If you are used to the V-Empire and new to the JCM900, my advise would be to start playing the JCM with no effects/pedals to get to know it first.
After a while, with a good guitar and technique, you'll discover that you'll need far less effects than you thought.
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear
Yeah,dont do it!
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear
Does your 900 have an effects loop? It's going to sound a lot better for clean AND distortion than the V-ampire. I'd run the guitar into the 900, then, if you want stereo for delays and reverbs, run out from the 900 to the Vamp, but don't bring the signal back into the 900. That way you have a "wet-dry" rig just like Van Halen used to use...
Old 21st December 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasHermus View Post
Why would you want to?
Because I can't get the Marshall to make me a ham sandwich.
Old 21st December 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob1 View Post
Does your 900 have an effects loop?
Affirmative.

Quote:
It's going to sound a lot better for clean AND distortion than the V-ampire.
Clean, yes; distortion... not so much. 900's (model 4100 here) distortion is mediocre at best (without an eq in the loop... and still lacking even then). Not that the V-ampire's is much better, but combining the two might give me the crunch I'm looking for, as well as allowing me to take advantage of the other effects I use on the V-amp.

I'm just farting around, seeing if I can get a decent crunch out of the Marshall with what I have on hand, short of buying a stand alone multi-processor or a few stomp boxes. (I'm eying a Floor Pod Plus on craigslist right now. Been digging the reviews and demos.)

Quote:
I'd run the guitar into the 900, then, if you want stereo for delays and reverbs, run out from the 900 to the Vamp, but don't bring the signal back into the 900. That way you have a "wet-dry" rig just like Van Halen used to use...
Mmmm, no can do, methinks (and it's early yet, so me might not be thinking clearly).

Have to run the cab off the Marshall (which of course means the effects' signals need to be coming out of the Marshall), which means I'm looking at running the guitar into the V-ampire and combining the left/right unbalanced outs on the V-ampire (only 'outs' other than speaker outs) and running it through the Marshall - either through the Marshall's effects loop in or directly into the input.

I guess my question really boils down to: Am I going to harm the Marshall by combining the two unbalanced line outs of the V-ampire and running it through the Marshall - either directly into the Marshall's guitar input or into the effects loop?

Thanks, doc.
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Line6 Sandwich Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickinandgrinnin View Post
Because I can't get the Marshall to make me a ham sandwich.
thinking logical, that means the V-Ampire can make sandwiches - at least something that machine can do, as the sound is nothing to be proud of.

I use Marshalls since more than 30 years - modified to sound like I want it - taste changes over the years. Thats the way to go - get the thing to sound as you like it - and get rid of the Line6 §&%$(§"=. The only thing necessary ist that you know what you want and that you can describe it to a good amp tech.
Old 21st December 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwolle View Post
thinking logical, that means the V-Ampire can make sandwiches
Thinking logically, it was patently illogical for someone to ask me, "Why would you want to?" after I clearly stated why I want to do it.

Quote:
the sound is nothing to be proud of.
The V-ampire's chorus, delays, phaser and flanger sound excellent, actually.

Quote:
Thats the way to go - get the thing to sound as you like it
That's precisely what I'm trying to do.

Quote:
and get rid of the Line6
I don't have a Line 6.

Sheesh...

Quote:
The only thing necessary ist that you know what you want
I know that I want to use the V-ampire as a multi-effects processor through my Marshall... if it's possible to do so without harming the Marshall (or the V-ampire, for that matter).

Quote:
and that you can describe it to a good amp tech.
According to the music stores it takes me an hour and $20 worth of petrol to get to, there are no good amp techs within 200 miles of here, never mind someone qualified to mod it.

But hey, I'll be more than happy to ship the head to Voodoo if you're willing to pay for the mods. I'll cover shipping.
Old 23rd December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thinking logically, it was patently illogical for someone to ask me, "Why would you want to?" after I clearly stated why I want to do it.
Hmmmm....
I don't see what is so clear about wanting something in your original post.
You merely seem to be wondering...

Quote:
I was wondering if I can use a Behringer V-ampire 112 combo as a MEP and run it through a JCM900 head I picked up a few days ago. I'm thinking... left and right unbalanced line outs into a 2 into 1 then into the input of the head?
But, back on topic.
I was just trying to be helpful.
If you are only used to playing through the Behringer, I would really advise you to explore the Marshall without any effects.

I started with digital modelling stuff as well (ages ago with a Zoom). Always used a lot of effects like chorus, flangers and phasers (you have to, otherwise you get the basic sound of that digital thing).
But when I started playing tube amps, I noticed that I needed less of everything:
Less chorus, flanger and phaser
Less overdrive/distortion
Less delay and reverb

Even with the current modelling stuff I notice that people tend to use a lot off effects thinking that they need it...

I recently tried new ones from Peavey, Line6, Vox and Marshall.
They all had that same problem.

In my opinion, when you think the overdrive of your Marshall is comparable to the V-empire there are only three possibilties:
-The Marshall is defective
-You are doing something wrong (like putting the Behringer in the Marshall's effects loop)
-You are deaf

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search