The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Starting to nail some good drum sounds in a square room
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

Dude, just checked out your page. Man you have some nice gear! How long has it taken you to get all that?
Old 19th December 2011
Gear Maniac

thanks - over many years! I started out when I left school with a 4 track portastudio in my mums back bedroom and added a few things along the way ;-)
The PT session would be awesome - my email is matt(at)axisrecording.co.uk (someone told me years ago not to put my email addy on forums as you get spam so just stick the proper @ sign in.... i'm sure you knew that anyway!)
I'll let you know how I get on with it!
cheers
matt
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

That's awesome man. I'll send the session over within the next hour or so for you.
Old 19th December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by anemicrock View Post
Thanks Etch-A-Sketch. I think what your hearing on the kick is how I eq'd it. Same with toms. What you mentioned is pretty much bang on on how I set those eq's however I didn't want a whole bunch of low end on them with them being tuned so low. Maybe I went a bit too much on the HPF. Still I liked them.

Snares I actually like to multi band compress the crap out of on just the mids. I really like how it makes it deeper and more full to my ears anyway.

I think the room sounds better with the flooring down. The carpet just sounded too dead.

The sounds that you think are whacky, are you noticing them from more of the room miss in the hallway or when I mute the rooms and you hear just the dry kit?

I just put up a cloud over the kit a minute ago. Hopefully it doesn't come crashing down. lol Should help though I'm still hearing slightly a strange ping when I clap my hands.
Well it could be things you are doing to it. I'm hearing it on the dry parts. The parts where you turn on the room and verb it is less noticeable, but still there.

As for the ping... it could be the natural resonance of the room, but maybe not. Try the hand mirror thing to see if there are any surfaces reflecting directly back at you. The tough thing about a room that small and a drumset (which is a large sound source), it's really hard to stop all reflections that could cause flutter. And if/when you do, the room kind of loses its life. That's why I usually mention diffusors in conjunction with absorbers. to try to keep it lively.
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks Derek, I think I found the sound of the weird ping. I'm almost positive it's coming of the light shade hanging on the ceiling. Gonna cover that up with something. I also moved in some more gobo's to make a slight angled wall. Seems to have helped a bit.

I'll try to make some diffusers soon to put on the wall in front of the kit. Thanks for the tips bud!
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting your chain anemicrock! Definitely on the same wavelength. Have you tried a small reflection filter behind the top snare mic to limit hi-hat bleed? The SE instrument filters work really well and they're small enough to not be a problem.

I like the beefiness in the low mids on a 421. I've always found a 57 to sound a little cloudy and gritty in the midrange on snare. Lacks the pop and sheen of a 421.

Agreed on the D112 on floor tom. I like a D6 there sometimes too.

Awesome job man!
Old 19th December 2011
Sounds really nice ! Did you compress hall mikes a lot ? what did you use ? Without those ambient mikes it sounds funny
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks Josh, haven't used a reflection filter. Gonna go check it out now. Damn that Hi Hat bleed. Ha

cyjanopan, I used the CLA 1176 plugin on the room miss. Still saving for a real pair and a pair of distressors.

What do you mean by they sound "funny" without the hall mics?
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

Josh, is this what you mean? SE Electronics Instrument Reflexion Filter
Old 19th December 2011
Quote:
Thanks Josh, haven't used a reflection filter. Gonna go check it out now. Damn that Hi Hat bleed. Ha

cyjanopan, I used the CLA 1176 plugin on the room miss. Still saving for a real pair and a pair of distressors.

What do you mean by they sound "funny" without the hall mics?
Funny means... funny :-) With ambients it`s huge, without it`s not. In the second song it sounds great, but the first one clearly is made to use those mikes. Thanks for info, I really like how cymbals sounds in hall and with this compression.
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Josh, is this what you mean? SE Electronics Instrument Reflexion Filter
If you can find one as small as that without the hole in it it would work much better. I think I remember seeing one that clips onto a mic stand in the same way as a pop filter, though I can't remember the company that manufactures them unfortunately.
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear

Apologies for the late response man. I'll get searching for the right one. Happy Holidays

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search