The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
fixing an old microphone (Christmas Gift!)
Old 16th December 2011
Gear Nut

fixing an old microphone (Christmas Gift!)

Hey Slutzzzzzz

So my brother loves recording old lo-fi stuff (cassette decks, old mics etc etc). So I was in an antique store and I saw this:

an old karaoke microphone. I bought it and tried it out. doesn't work...i think i need to solder it . Does anybody know what I should do? I've done a bit of soldering too. here's a picture of the loose connections.

i think the images might be really big... if so sorry.
Old 16th December 2011
Lives for gear

Hope he is also spending about $3 on you or he will be a tad disappointed!

heh

It looks like all you need to do is replace the jack with a new, decent quality one or (what I would do if he is into recording as anything other than a truly superficial hobby) cut the jack connector off and at least give him a clean bit of wire to put the new connector on. Or maybe better to just give it to him as-is....

The good part is that it appears to be switchable between Hi and Lo Impedance.

90hz - 11khz response. "welcome to the school sports meet"
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear

go to radio shack and buy a new mike

go to best buy and buy a new mike cheaper

why do you say it doesnt work?
how did you test it?
did you use a preamp?
is the wire shorting in that plug?
is the mike capsule missing (you did unscrew it to check didnt you ?)
you did turn the switch to see if that helped ??
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear

It doesn't appear to have a balanced output. It's not worth fixing. Chuck it. Spend $20 and get a Behringer XM8500.
Old 19th December 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
It doesn't appear to have a balanced output. It's not worth fixing. Chuck it. Spend $20 and get a Behringer XM8500.
man I'm sorry I even posted this here. Clearly at gearslutz I have to be very very specific that getting something lo-fi for fun, is lo-fi, for fun. I'm not getting him a microphone so he can make gold records you turds. I'm getting it because it's for fun. Because it's vintage. Because it looks dope.

Anyways, to the people that were remotely helpful...

yes I turned on the mic
I used my fa-101.
The mic works when I fiddle with its input... turns it, taking it out and putting it back into the fa-101... it basically works for a bit, but the wire comes loose in the connector. Didn't know you could get another connector.

Anyways, think I'll take a chance and get my father to solder it instead spending any more time on here.
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo View Post
man I'm sorry I even posted this here. Clearly at gearslutz I have to be very very specific that getting something lo-fi for fun, is lo-fi, for fun. I'm not getting him a microphone so he can make gold records you turds. I'm getting it because it's for fun. Because it's vintage. Because it looks dope.

Anyways, to the people that were remotely helpful...

yes I turned on the mic
I used my fa-101.
The mic works when I fiddle with its input... turns it, taking it out and putting it back into the fa-101... it basically works for a bit, but the wire comes loose in the connector. Didn't know you could get another connector.

Anyways, think I'll take a chance and get my father to solder it instead spending any more time on here.
then buy a working crappy vintage mike
or buy a working crappy new mike -- they are virtually the same now as back then.

you can buy connectors anywhere

good idea to get your father to solder it.
you shouldnt be playing with dangerous tools at your age.
Old 19th December 2011
Gear Nut

good call newdigitaluser! wouldn't want to hurt myself!
Old 19th December 2011
2 connectors, 2 wires --- you can't go wrong! solder it!
Love those funky hi_z mics. ot a bunch in the locker.

Peace
Old 19th December 2011
When they say 250 or 50,000 ohms, how is this? The switch?

Or is the switch just on/off?

Trying to think of ways to make the most outta this thing.

John
Old 19th December 2011
OK, just did a search. Apparently, under all that mess there, you have 3 wires. 1 white, 1 black, and the braided shield.

The info I found says to wire the black wire to tip for low impedance, or 250 ohms. Use the white to tip for 50 kohms.

I would either wire it 50 kohms, and try a nice direct box or impedance converter (transformer), or wire it low z, and wire the black to pin 2 on an xlr, pin one to the braided wire.

I guess tape up or heat shrink the wire you don't use.

At least using a transformer, you are balanced from the transformer to the preamp.

There's nothing wrong with experimenting with low end stuff. We all grew up doing it, and it's still fun to mess around with, because if you mess something up, no big deal. It is a learning experience.

Good on you man, don't listen to those cats.

I have some expensive mics, but if somebody put this down in front of me, I'd still get out my soldering iron and screw with it.

Good luck,

john

PS: the info where I found this says he couldn't remember if white or black was high or low, but to his recollection, this was correct. Going to have to try it and see.
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear
yea I was thinking to myself, I bet this can be wired for balanced xlr... it MUST have a transformer in there somewhere...

some would say pointless, I say - have fun, it's basically free and it's a hell of a learning experience for repairing/modding more expensive mics in the future.

it might sound cool on guitar cab. but being omni it should be a fun room mic - track it in the room, squash the hell out of it with a sexy sounding comp, mix it into the song!
Old 20th December 2011
Here for the gear

Definitely fix it. I have an older-looking Realistic mic that sounds really thin and amazing. I'd be appreciative if I were your brother.
Attached Thumbnails
fixing an old microphone (Christmas Gift!)-photo-2011-12-20-13.02.jpg  
Old 24th December 2011
Gear Nut

fixed it with my dad, used it in a song right after to test it. A little noisy but way better. actually sounds pretty good to me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search