The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG D125 and D1000
Old 15th December 2011
Gear Nut

AKG D125 and D1000

I just ordered 2 AKG D125s and D1000s off of ebay for about $30 each. What's the deal? Nobody seems to be bidding on them. Got them from a Canandian seller who seems to have lots more of them. I used to use these mics in the 80s on drums, guitar cabs, and even on some male vocals. These mics are KILLER! IMHO they are one of the best kept secrets in the industry. I am adding a link below to one of the auctions in case anybody wants to check them out. BTW, I am in NO WAY affiliated with the seller. I just know a good deal when I see one.

AKG D125 and D10002 AKG microphone VINTAGE dynamic ( The perfect duo) 1 akg D125+1AKGD1000E | eBay

David
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear

I saw that too. The mics go real cheap, but shipping is high.

I don't have either of these mics, but I have been tempted to grab some. I used an AKG d1000 in a live situation a few times, and thought it was pretty good.

In recent months I have picked up two older AKG dynamics, a d190e and a d120e and am very pleased with both of them.

There doesn't seem to be much on the net in the way of reviews on any of the old AKG dynamics. So, no net hype inflating the prices. These go cheap on ebay routinely, and are a great value. Good workhorse mics.
Old 17th December 2011
Gear Maniac

I picked up a pair of akg d310s on eBay for super cheap. Love them on snare, guitar cabs, sometimes vocals...anywhere am sm57 might be used.
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear

I picked up a D1000 about a year ago. So far I've found it to be another very usable mic for guitar amps depending on what you're going for. It offers a different color than a 57. Just used it on a Dano 12 through a Vox AC15. I've tried it on snare once well but didn't like it there.
Old 19th December 2011
Gear Nut

Got my mics in yesterday. They are just as I remember them. Similar to SM57 but with a more "sparkling" top end. I love these mics!

David
Old 24th December 2011
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouland View Post
Got my mics in yesterday. They are just as I remember them. Similar to SM57 but with a more "sparkling" top end. I love these mics!

David
I just bought two off of Craigs list for 10.00 each!
They are not matched, one is a bit duller than the other.

I looked up the specs prior to the purchase, and figured that they would be
like a flatter sm 57, which they are. I Love them !

Best 20.00 I ever spent. I can really get that old school rock tone out of those things. Great guitar mic. Not as much top endy bite as the 57, but flatter.
I like it on it's own, and It should pair well for duel micing a speaker.

Money well spent.
Good luck with yours.
Mike
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

I have a D1000 - someone gave it to me YEARS ago. Mostly used on guitar cabs.. occasionally toms or snare. It's in the same family as a 57, but a bit smoother.
Old 14th January 2012
Here for the gear

I bought five ( !!!) D125 and one D1000 from the canadian seller, made an arrangement to pay a little less on shipping.
I love them, I found the D1000 really useful on some voice, especially on a voice-over for a short movie I'd mixed a few days ago.

I've also bought a bunch of vintage mics, some older then the Akg, maybe I need stop surfing on Evilbay...
heh
Old 27th September 2012
Here for the gear

great mics

I bought 4 of each from the same seller. All he would tell me is they might have come out of city council chambers which were renovated. This would explain their excellent condition.
I used these mics back in the 70's and 80's and I'm happy to use them again. I'm using them now for live work and they are FABULOUS! The 1000 in particular has lots of gain before feedback.

Compared to earlier AKG dynamics these are MUCH more rugged. The classic early models such as the D19, D119, D24, D190 were extremely fragile and broke easily. The diaphragms were held in by a ring which was screwed down. Even a mild knock would put the diaphragm out of alignment, or break the solder joint between the voice coil wires and the wires to the connector and humbucking coil.

Not so with the D1000 and D125. These mics should last forever. In fact, the capsule on the 125 is field replacable.

W.
Old 27th September 2012
I know where they're from, they're from a court house!! I bought a few before they got to Ebay, had I known, I would have bought far more!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search