The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ribbon for acoustic guitar
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Ribbon for acoustic guitar

I'm gonna produce my next record by myself, acoustic/folk/pop.
I really want it to sound organic and warm, simular to wovenhand - S/T.
Is a ribbon the way to go? I'm primarily using an oktavamod 319 and it sounds stellar, but I think i'd like something to complement it for more middy and old school tone.
Don't have a big budget though, are there any cheap ribbon alternatives that will do the job?

Just want something that adds real character, in a more "classic" folky way, if you know what I mean.

Been hearing good stuff about m130 and it's within my budget.
Omni might be a problem though since my room isn't great. Guess its not switchable?
Old 14th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBackwardsman View Post
Been hearing good stuff about m130 and it's within my budget.
Omni might be a problem though since my room isn't great. Guess its not switchable?
I don't actually have one, but I believe the M130 is cardioid, so maybe it suits your situation even better than you thought.
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarWestWrenchCo View Post
I don't actually have one, but I believe the M130 is cardioid, so maybe it suits your situation even better than you thought.
Actually I think we're both wrong, seems like it's fig-8.
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Beyer M130 is bidirectional - the m160 is cardioid.
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Oh, I thought the m160 was twice as expensive. How is m160 for acoustics?
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Golden Age's active ribbon mic sounds fine on steel-string (recorded OM and dread) and is an all-round great performer for the price (check out the Sound on Sound ribbon mic shoot-out). I like it on my voice too, but that's more subjective of course.
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
M160 is currently my favorite for acoustic. I love the way it gently smooths out the transients. Not a dull sound by any means, just less initial edge to the sound. Sounds way more natural to me, more like what an acoustic sounds like from a real-world listening position, even though the mic may be only a foot or so from the guitar (a position we seldom listen from in real life). It's a great little mic, and seems to hold resale value pretty well. I was lucky enough to find a nice used one (on GS!) so saved a few bucks, and it has been flawless for me. My 2c, YMMV, and good luck!
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitedog View Post
Golden Age's active ribbon mic sounds fine on steel-string (recorded OM and dread) and is an all-round great performer for the price (check out the Sound on Sound ribbon mic shoot-out). I like it on my voice too, but that's more subjective of course.
Thanks, yea Golden Age seems nice..but unfortunately way more expensive.
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
M160 is currently my favorite for acoustic. I love the way it gently smooths out the transients. Not a dull sound by any means, just less initial edge to the sound. Sounds way more natural to me, more like what an acoustic sounds like from a real-world listening position, even though the mic may be only a foot or so from the guitar (a position we seldom listen from in real life). It's a great little mic, and seems to hold resale value pretty well. I was lucky enough to find a nice used one (on GS!) so saved a few bucks, and it has been flawless for me. My 2c, YMMV, and good luck!
Thanks, so it's a bit on the clean side but still smoother than your average condenser?
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm gonna produce my next record by myself, acoustic/folk/pop.
I really want it to sound organic and warm, simular to wovenhand - S/T.
Is a ribbon the way to go? I'm primarily using an oktavamod 319 and it sounds stellar, but I think i'd like something to complement it for more middy and old school tone.
Don't have a big budget though, are there any cheap ribbon alternatives that will do the job?
If you want it organic and warm, a Royer 122v is the best on acoustic guitar. REtains a lot of the punch and vibrancy.

If you want something more middy and old school, I love the RCA 74b for this application. Great on vocals too!

If you want a cheap ribbon to do the job...well, good luck with that.
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
If you want it organic and warm, a Royer 122v is the best on acoustic guitar. REtains a lot of the punch and vibrancy.

If you want something more middy and old school, I love the RCA 74b for this application. Great on vocals too!

If you want a cheap ribbon to do the job...well, good luck with that.
Can't argue with someone with an avatar like that..
Well, m160 is still what I consider "cheap" but if it does the job or not..
In the SOS shootout, they mentioned simular vibe with the Sontronics Sigma .
Anyone tried that one?
Old 14th December 2011
Gear Guru

michael joly modded apex 205 - ribbon mics .. very nice on acoustics ... i rind them to have a small sweet spot though ...

cheers
Old 14th December 2011
Gear Guru
Quote:
Lovely.
Old 14th December 2011
Jai guru deva om

The M160 isn't what I would consider a classic or folks-y tone, it's a great mic but not in the way of "character". One of the large ribbon mics would be best.

War
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Yea that seems to be true, just starting to explore the world of ribbons. Need to find some samples..
Still curious about the sigma though
Old 14th December 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
The M160 isn't what I would consider a classic or folks-y tone, it's a great mic but not in the way of "character". One of the large ribbon mics would be best.

War
Hi war, then what would be the "character" mic you'd recommend? Would the AEA r92/84 work in that sameish budget range? Thanks!
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
michael joly modded apex 205 - ribbon mics .. very nice on acoustics ... i rind them to have a small sweet spot though ...

cheers
Same here, with a Cloudlifter to get extra gain. If I am getting this right, don't longer ribbons (like the 205, AEA R84) have more HF response? If the OP wants more on top a longish ribbon may work.

Old school folk guitar tone to my ears is LDCs to tape.
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

...i would also consider renting a u67. to me thats the classic tone for acoustic guitar. or try a km54.. just rent them when needed.
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Renting won't be an option unfortunately. I will record this as I write, will probably take a year or so. Plus the 319 works very well as a semi-darkish condenser.
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDW View Post
Same here, with a Cloudlifter to get extra gain. If I am getting this right, don't longer ribbons (like the 205, AEA R84) have more HF response? If the OP wants more on top a longish ribbon may work.

Old school folk guitar tone to my ears is LDCs to tape.
No need for extra top, I'm after more of a middy sound. No need for heavy bottom either as the 319 has a HUGE low end. Seems like these kind of ribbins are the most expensive
Old 14th December 2011
Gear Guru

If you want middy and old forget the ribbon and get a Copperphone.
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
No need for extra top, I'm after more of a middy sound. No need for heavy bottom either as the 319 has a HUGE low end. Seems like these kind of ribbins are the most expensive
Depends what you mean by "mid". A lot of people use the term "mid" generally refer to what I'd call "upper" mids - their definition of "presence" always seems to be a bit higher up the sonic spectrum than what I think of as mids. Sounds like you're talking about low-mids here.

I suspect the Coles 4038 would give you what you want. But that's outside your price range. The modded ribbon someone else mentioned above routinely gets compared to the 4038, and that's in your price range.

Equally, I suspect you could get pretty much any ribbon mic (a Fathead, for instance) and just play around with positioning until you get about the right tone. You want low-mids? Stick a ribbon mic (or even your 319) pointed at the guitar's wood between the soundhole and the bridge (but probably closer towards the soundhole).

This whole discussion is a bit academic anyway, as none of us know what acoustic guitar you're playing. If it's a really bright guitar, you'll want a really dark ribbon. If it's a big jumbo Gibson, well you might want a long ribbon with a bit of top-end. I'd go more on price/what's on eBay....
Old 15th December 2011
Lives for gear

We used the M-160 recently on a mandolin and it was perfect. Those strident mando tones were handled.

Not so sure it would have been quite as good on the acoustic track.

I prefer a large or medium condenser.
Old 15th December 2011
Gear Addict

A Coles 4038 would be brilliant, but unfortunately the price is a bit too dear. I've been searching for a suitable substitute, but no luck yet!
Old 15th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, yea Golden Age seems nice..but unfortunately way more expensive.
Uhm, I think you found a different maker or model, the Golden Age mic is a just a bit more than half the price of the Beyer M160.
Old 15th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitedog View Post
Uhm, I think you found a different maker or model, the Golden Age mic is a just a bit more than half the price of the Beyer M160.
Oh, silly me! And they sound great from the samples I've heard. Thanks bro
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear

:-) You are welcome. I will be buying some other ribbons once I have all the bases covered tool-wise, I love the "reality" and "girth" of sound they impart.
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
We used the M-160 recently on a mandolin and it was perfect. Those strident mando tones were handled.

Not so sure it would have been quite as good on the acoustic track.

I prefer a large or medium condenser.
Yeah a couple m160s work great for finger picking. With that said so do a couple 57s. Both will get you into the same territory
Old 17th December 2011
Gear Addict

EDIT: Guess I should read more and assume less

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search