The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ribbon for acoustic guitar
Old 18th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNagurka View Post
It should probably be noted that longer ribbons will likely have less top because they cannot move as fast. Dual ribon elements have more top - take 2 ribbons that are half the length of the long one and can move faster to capture HF business.
Sorry, cannot help but notice this is completely wrong. Before posting such a mess I'd suggest to consult textbooks for theory of operation.

Best, M
Old 18th December 2011
AEA R92 if its in budget
Old 18th December 2011
Gear Nut

here is a link to a ribbon shoot out listed on recording hacks. They include a few lower priced miss that sound good.

Ribbon Shootout: Acoustic Guitar | recording hacks
Old 18th December 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks!
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

Leaning towards a Golden Age R1 mkII!
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marik View Post
Sorry, cannot help but notice this is completely wrong. Before posting such a mess I'd suggest to consult textbooks for theory of operation.

Best, M
http://recordinghacks.com/2008/11/01...phone-designs/

Oops, right you are. Misinformative post deleted! I was just remembering from an article I read long ago and obviously hadn't read closely enough
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

When I think of whether or not to use a ribbon mic for acoustic guitar, my primary consideration is the arrangement. Will there be a lot of competition for sonic space. The less competition the more I like a ribbon.

If it is just guitar and voice, a Royer SF 12 stereo ribbon can give some good buttery results. AEA 44c is also an xlnt choice. Otherwise, I go with a KM 54.

Another key is heavy experimentation with mic position. If the sound is not par excellence from the get go, take the time to try odd mic positions that most others would never consider. Some of my best sounds have come from some very odd mic positions.

- Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search